Double chocolate stout, gravity stuck at 1.022

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewind

Reaction score
Got this in a kit from h/bay hbs:

Mangrove Jack Export stout
safale us-04
500g Specialty grains
500g dutch cocoa plus lactose
1kg dark malt extract
300g spray malt
T90 hops

my first "partial" i suppose if you could call it that. followed all instructions but I forgot to take an OG reading. About 10 days in and the gravity seems to be stuck at around 1.022 for the last 3 days. have raised the temp controller to 20degrees from 18.5 that it was beforehand, but still nothing happening at the moment. Contacted HBS and they said approx. 1.017-15 should be final gravity.

Doesn't seem to be any action going on and I'm starting to wonder whether I should pitch some more us-04 that I have handy?

Lactose. How much did you use? It will dissolve but not ferment, so its gravity it adds will stay there. Full recipe?

Stout kit, specialty grains (which ones?) and dark extract? A bit much on the dark stuff, even ignoring the lactose you're going to have a significant amount of difficult to ferment long chain sugars.

Not a partial as partial refers to using base malt, mashed as part of the fermentables.

I am not surprised in the slightest that an extract brew with roasted grains, S04 and lactose (an unfermentable sugar) has stopped at 1022 and I would be surprised if it got much lower.

That said, the brew will not suffer from being left and you will suffer if you bottle too early, especially into glass, so try the tips on this page (follow the link in the first post to access the article): http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/47445-ahb-articles-my-beer-is-1022-can-i-bottle-it/

so its looks like it will settle at 1.022. have tried the fast ferment in the bottle and about 24 hours l8r no change. There an alternative recommended yeast for this type of wort?

There are a couple of other dried yeasts which suit UK ales but I've never used them. I have used US05 in a stout with success but I prefer liquid because the range for beer, including UK is so good. Try 1084 or 1099 from wyeast if you feel like it.

Latest posts

Back