Double Choc Milk Stout Recipe Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Ive searched for a good double choc milk stout recipe, however most on here and other sites are either one or the other.

Im not after a bitter choc, more of the other way preferably.

Can anyone help me out getting a good partial together, and how to get a good choc hit without adding anything to the glass before i pour?

Id like it to be an all in 1, open and pour :)

TIA.

Ok ive posted on a different forum as well to get help, but so far i think :

1 can stout mix
250g JW Amber malt or roasted barley, or choc malt...(any help with this?)
250g flaked barley
250ml chocolate topping or dark chocolate

probably crack and soak all the grain fer 1/2 hour then boil along with the rest of the other stuff listed above. (Skim off oils from the choc in the boil)

Need to add some hops, so need suggestions for that, as well as yeast to use...

Also was thinking of adding choc essence to secondary (ala youngs double) before bottling...

Any help or suggestions to fill in my blanks?

I wanna try keep this under 7% (ideally about 5%) so im not sure what adding brown sugar would do...

Yeasty
If you are after double choc, then use choc malt rather than roast barley as your steep addition. I would be reluctant to add the chocolate to the boil, but I have never done this. Maybe some cocoa instead? And if you want it to be a milk stout, you might wanna look at adding in some lactose.
All the best
Trent
EDIT Just noticed you knew youngs add the chocolate essence, so took that part of my advice out!

thanks, ive listed the choc malt above, just not sure on which to use. Cocoa is rather bitter, so im not real keen on using it or lactose from others reports on the taste.

It might end up using oatmeal (rolled oats) to give what im after with some sort of grain to give a choc hit, + the essence as well...

Back