Double Boil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
Today I was meant to get a sneaky brew off before mothers day celebrations. But alas is has been a comedy of errors.
My initial plans were to wake up at 5, mash in and start a long complex mash cycle (I have a braumeister), followed by a long boil (90% Pilsner malt, NoChill = trying to avoid DMS).
But I slept in and have had the slowest sparge ever. I need to be out by 12pm and I've only just got it to a boil.

Can I boil for 30 mins, cube it. Come home after lunch, tip it back in and boil for another hour or so?

I can't really see a problem - can you?

Don't know anything about the braumeister. If it was me I would complete the mash cycle and then do the boil after you return.

No timer option. The BM doesn't start doing anything automatically, you need to press start. That way you won't accidentally run it dry.

The mash is complete, the longgggg sparge is finished too. The wort is boiling as we speak. I would be reluctant to leave unboiled wort around as it may develop some lactobacillus growth which will give it a sourness.

You could set it on manual at 80 degrees or something (above the range that lacto grows at).

Or boil it for a few minutes to kill any lacto, and then resume the boil later this afternoon.

tiprya said:
Or boil it for a few minutes to kill any lacto, and then resume the boil later this afternoon.
^ I would be looking at this, mate.

Alternatively, your wife could learn to be super understanding and flexibe and just leave an hour later than planned :D

Yeah...maybe the first option!

Gingerbrew said:
Today I was meant to get a sneaky brew off before mothers day celebrations. But alas is has been a comedy of errors.
My initial plans were to wake up at 5, mash in and start a long complex mash cycle (I have a braumeister), followed by a long boil (90% Pilsner malt, NoChill = trying to avoid DMS).
But I slept in and have had the slowest sparge ever. I need to be out by 12pm and I've only just got it to a boil.

Can I boil for 30 mins, cube it. Come home after lunch, tip it back in and boil for another hour or so?

I can't really see a problem - can you?
Absolutely fine.

Does the braumeister have an auto resume if power cuts out? If so then you could use something to time it but most timers don't allow 10A to flow through.

Back