Double Batch Split Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
I currently do double batches. However Id like a little more variety and dont want to do single batches. So I thought, why not do a Pilsner and a Munich Helles via a partially split boil?

The way I plan to do it is like this;
- Do a 100% Pilsner mash (50/50 RO and local water)
- Sparge and run to kettle as normal
- Boil for 90 min
- First hop addition @ 60 for 20IBU
- At 30 mins run off 1/2 from kettle into electric HLT and boil for 30 mins with no more hop additions for the Munich Helles
- Concurrently, continue with first kettle and add 30min and 15min hop additions to 40IBU for the Pilsner

So at the end of the day I have 2 different beers for essentially the same time frame and same amount of equipment, just utilising the HLT as a kettle instead of just sitting idle. Lazy bugger. :D

Planning to do this as a double decoction, as soon as my bulk buy of hops arrives.
Looking forward to it. Should be an interesting day.

Sounds great. I plan to do something sort of similar. I've got a selection of hops from the US and want to try each on their own to see what they are like as a standalone hop but it would take me too long to get though 4 different full batches.

I'll be doing a couple of standard APA malt bills plus some neutral bittering and cubing them (with no flavour or aroma hops). Then when it's time to pitch, it will be two lots of 2 litres of each boiled on the stove with a different hop for flavour and aroma (quickly cooling the pots in a sink with iced water then pitching). That way I'll get two 11 or so litre batches from the same brew.

Sounds great. I plan to do something sort of similar. I've got a selection of hops from the US and want to try each on their own to see what they are like as a standalone hop but it would take me too long to get though 4 different full batches.

I'll be doing a couple of standard APA malt bills plus some neutral bittering and cubing them (with no flavour or aroma hops). Then when it's time to pitch, it will be two lots of 2 litres of each boiled on the stove with a different hop for flavour and aroma (quickly cooling the pots in a sink with iced water then pitching). That way I'll get two 11 or so litre batches from the same brew.

Cube hopping is a great way to get yourself a big punch of late hops. I've done a similar thing myself in the past and loved it.

These days when i do a double batch i'll ferment out one half with my planned recipe. Then tweak the second half by doing stuff like; french pressing, adjusting dry hopping rates, using a different yeast , adjusting fermentation profile, adding sugaz, etc, etc... all dependent on what i noted on the first half. It's a good way to quickly adjust and note subtle changes.

I've just sampled the first from my last double batch using cubes etc, not up to scratch. The flood apart from all the other damage it caused to the lower level of my house meant it only had two days of controlled fermentation at 18C. I've forgotten how these things tasted before purchasing fridges and thermostats. Anyway I saved the brew which finished at some pretty high temps...

Was (normally) a nice aussie ale. Bittered with Northern Brewer and finished with Cluster using Coopers yeast and using a little sugar. One of my favorate summer beers.

Bugger. Anyway could have been a lot worse. All the houses down the street are still vacant without power. I will finish these out of principal :D

Latest posts

Back