Double Batch In A 50l Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer slayer

Reaction score
In the quest of doing a double batch,can someone tell me if i add approx 12kg of grain into my 50L mash tun, with a water ratio or 2.5L/Kg, will it all fit in my mash tun (keg) ?.

I am sure promash could tell me, but i dont know where to start.
cheers :beerbang:

im pretty sure it will....its worth trying

I would think 12 kg of grain may take about 1/2 the space

For the mash you are looking at 30 litres or hot liquor to add.
Assuming that the grain will absorb 1.01 litres/kg and that 1kg of grain consumes more space than 1 litre of water would, I still think you could manage it.
It would almost be topped out though.

Beers,
Doc

Ahhh, I knew someone else wuld find it usefull eventually. Here is the caculator I made and posted a months or so ago
Calculator

Borret

12kg of grain? Beerslayer that's going to be some beer. Even assuming a double batch. :beerbang:

FWIW I can get 11kg of grain (just) into my 38 litre cooler with L/G ratio of 2lt to 1kg of grain. You should make it by a mile.

Warren -

It will fit easily. I have had more than 14kg in mine. Would be best to put the grain in first and then underlet the mash water so it comes up from underneath the grain.
cheers
Darren

Gout said:
how are you going to boil it thought, i gather not in another 50Lt Keg.

I managed to boil 48L :excl: of wort in a 50L keg see the thread about max wort a few months ago.

The first part of the boils was pretty touch and go but I had a few first wort hops and skimmed it as well. Once the boil was going and the volume had reduced a bit I cranked up the heat and had no problems.

My keg boiler only has a 200mm diameter hole in it which may have a little bit to do with it

Cheers Ausdb

O.K
Beerslayer is on night shift tonight so i will get us up to speed.

Beerslayer and myself are gonna brew this sucka tomorrow.
We thought ' oh well you want a Porter and so do I ' so we are trying the double batch jobby.
Beerslayer filled the mash tun with 30L of water and said ' man dont think the grain will fit in "?. So hence his post.
So thanks to all those that suggest it will be a tight fit, but achievable !
I recon we can both get sleep now !
I am taking my boiler and burner over to Beerslayers, and we will do a split boil, so should be ok for the boil, re volume factor.
The porter is the Ray Mills world famous 'Robust Porter Recipe' with a little adjustment.
We are going to use two different yeast strains for a bit of a experiment too.
So wish us luck, and if all fails i'll just get into beerslayers kegged selection !

'Prost'
:super:

Latest posts

Back