Dont You Hate It When.........?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
dont you hate it when you are aiming for 1.070 and hit 1.053.
man talk about ruining my big beer.
back to the beer program to sort out the details required. :angry:

feel free to add your own beer tales of whoa.

cheers in total disapointment

big d

I hear u BIG D.
Have over filled the fermenter with top up water and turned an otherwise nice ESB Czech Pilsener into fizzy water. But you will, or should only do it once!

Oh no. Don't tell me that was your HourglassIPA bigd ?

Son of a #(*&$(#&$

Doc

Man it can be almost as bad if it goes the other way when you are attempting to brew to style.

yep the hourglass doc
may have to re-name it the egg timer. :(
hope it tastes ok.only time will tell.

not happy big d

Did you use enough grain big d?
I will run the recipe thru BeerSmith and see how it stacks up!
Sorry to hear mate.

On a brighter note I brewed on Sunday and not a single f*#k up :eek:

C&B
TDA

That will be a hoppy IPA with gravity that far below target....should be great!

dreamboat

almost used the first grain bill tda which comes in at 1063 but remembered i tweaked the recipe.

5.6 kg jwm trad ale
.5 kg melanoidin
.15 kg jwm caramalt
.15 kg jwm dark crystal
.15 kg jwm wheat malt

ive since played with the beersmith program and reduced batch size and evaporation rate.was going to do a test brew tomorrow but am full up space wise so will wait till the following week.

cheers
big d

hi pomo
ohh to have a hbs near by instead of 650kms by air or 14-16 hour road trip to darwin.unfortunately its easier said than done for me due to my remote location.

big d, what was the batch size and efficiency you were aiming for? I plugged it into BeerSmith (trial version which I have here at work)at 23Litre batch and 75% efficiency and got OG of 1064. (This was not using the exact malts but very similar as my trial version doesn't have Joe White malts in the grain table.

How was your crush, what mash temp did you use and did you check for conversion at the end of the mash? I know me asking you this is like asking you to suck eggs as you have good knowledge and experience on brewing but it could help pinpoint your problem.

C&B
TDA

hi tda
bought version of mr smith still gives 1070.22 litre batch 75% efficiency.didnt check for conversion as it was a 90 mash as i had to go out so gave it the full 90 instead of my more usual 60min.batch sparge as usual no probs.

havent bothered with the crack gap as ive been averaging over my last 6 brews a 2 point variation which i can live with.and around 75% efficiency :)

may close the gap up somewhat and see how i go.
will do this brew again down the road to see how it stacks up again.using a mates hydrometer as i smashed mine last brew.are these ever ever out of wack.should i test it.eg in water ? water should give an og of ?
anyway if in doubt it will be sent to the x-files as im furked if i no what went wrong. <_<

cheers
big d

Distilled water at 20C should read 1.000, it's the reference point for gravity. >1 means denser than water <1 means thinner than water.
Tap water should be so close to 1.000 you can't tell.

thanks pomo
i just checked it and its spot on.oh well back to the drawing board.

Latest posts

Back