Dont You Hate It When..2-adjustments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
This is building on the Don't you hate it when...thread started by Big D.

Ok, when you guys go low or high with your OG in the kettle (in a big way, I don't mean only 1-2pts ;) ) do any of you then go about doing any corrections on the hop additions to compensate?

Several times now I've ended up low (worst was a hefeweizen aimed at 1053 and got 1038-I didn't change the hop additions on this one because it is so lightly bittered anyway) but normally I have therefore pulled back on the hops a bit. I'm just wondering if others do any adjustments for hop additions when they come in low or high?

:D Just as an aside I'm bolting out of work early today to get started on an oatmeal stout tonight that I've been postponing for a week or more now, going to be a late one but hopefully a good one ;). Weighed out the grains last night, ended up adding 100g too much of roast barley due to a dumb mistake (read the wrong malt off the recipe) but oh well.

Cheers, Justin

Hey Justin,
I normally don't calculate my hop bill until my sparge is finished and I have a good rolling boil. I then measure OG and hop appropriately.
Hope you had fun with the stout.
I should make a night beer too. The clean-up in the dark must be dreadful though!

Back