Don't Leave Your Hoses Outside

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillscottish

Uh, Detective Parson, madam.
Reaction score
My Rig's parked out by the pool just now.

Last brewday I hooked up the pump as normal and got ready to start recirculating. Opened the valve and not a lot came out of the mash tun into the hose. Bugger says I and gave it more time to prime. A little bit of wort was getting to the pump but it just wouldn't prime. Shut down, undid the hose, opened the valve. Plenty came out. Maybe the braid's clogging says I and risking blistered lips, got down on my knees and gave a mighty blow back through the mash tun valve (why am I thinking of Ross' Hand-Pulled Cock here :ph34r: )
Hooked up the hose and tried again but still nothing. At this point I took off the hose and tried to blow through it.

Blocked.

Held it up to the light and..........

20120521_192056.jpg

The little bugger had also made a barrier each end of the hose to really block it off.

Yeh,I allways jet them out with the garden hose first.....had a cooked cricket in my kettle hose barb once,when I went to drain kettle it spluttered and farted and legs and shell flewout into the fermentor...tasted fine.

I've had a nest of ants in one of mine.
Luckily I was washing out the hose in the bath first...

Luckily I was washing out the hose in the bath first...

Soft lighting, scented candles, mood music, some bath salts and essential oils in the bath and then given a rub down before they yield the goods. Yes all of my fermentation and brewing equipment likes to be romanced too.
:p

So now you can see why ants would be bad...

Back