Don't Brew Pi$$ed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I did a doubler, Irish Red with additions of NZ Goldings and NZ Willamette, and an American Wheat with two additions of NZ Hallertau. Of course after a few tankards of Ye l the Hallertau ended up in the Irish Red <_< so I just used up some Simcoe in the Wheatie.

The Irish Red wort tastes really nice so far, may have invented a new style. Anyone for a Dusseldorf Red ? :icon_cheers:

had a similar experience with my best bitter a week ago, I put my hop 5 minute addition in at first wort hop and first wort hop at the 5 min mark.

I thought it was an unwritten law TO brew Pissed :)

Rook

As long as you don't get so hammered that you forget your sach rest and end up with malt flavoured water???? :icon_cheers:

I brewed real pissed once and did all my hop additions backwards.
From memory it was still an ok beer. :beerbang:

I thought it was an unwritten law TO brew Pissed :)

Rook

Can you still brew sober? It would be like cooking a bar-b-que two handed......it can't be done! :icon_chickcheers:

Me and another local brewer were sampling rather a lot of my finest one afternoon when we thought it would be a great idea to put a brew on. We somehow managed to fill the urn, mill some grain and start the mash. I had a bit of a scene missing moment and I woke on the couch hours later in the middle of the night disorientated. Needless to say that brew didn't quite turn out. :lol:

I've had one of those brewing sessions... the last thing I remembered was doughing in.... next scene missing, until I woke up the next morning with a sore head, ran straight out the back, everything was clean as a whistle, packed away (albiet messily), fermenter was sitting in the fridge at 18C with a krausen on top, tasted good. I thought "Wow! Thanks drunk me"

Yup, same here. Put hops in a blonde that I had bought for a APA. Might do a quick run out to LHBS to get some more tomorrow morning.

interesting side question - at what point in the brew do you crack the first beer?

For me, it's the start of the boil usually, or sometimes during the sparge.

If I get too hammered the beer still turns out ok it's the cleaning up part that doesn't

I've had one of those brewing sessions... the last thing I remembered was doughing in.... next scene missing, until I woke up the next morning with a sore head, ran straight out the back, everything was clean as a whistle, packed away (albiet messily), fermenter was sitting in the fridge at 18C with a krausen on top, tasted good. I thought "Wow! Thanks drunk me"
That is amazing.

No way hope in hell I would clean up if I was in that state...

interesting side question - at what point in the brew do you crack the first beer?

For me, it's the start of the boil usually, or sometimes during the sparge.

If I get too hammered the beer still turns out ok it's the cleaning up part that doesn't

While im cracking my grain.

There was a AHB rule a while back,

no beers until your first hop addition,

so I just throw a hop into my glass.

'No beers above 10% until your first hop addition unless you feel like it' is actually the full rule.

Drinking beer while brewing is the necessary sacrifice to the beer gods and if you don't get amongst it, your beer will fail miserably. One beer for every step minimum (where one beer = one pint).

Mill grain.
Mash in
Drain/recirculate
Boil
Whirlpool
Drain into cube or chill into fermenter
Clean up
Crack a beer in celebration.

So about 12-15 pints all up if we include step mashes.

The war wasn't won by teetotallers.

'No beers above 10% until your first hop addition unless you feel like it' is actually the full rule.

Drinking beer while brewing is the necessary sacrifice to the beer gods and if you don't get amongst it, your beer will fail miserably. One beer for every step minimum (where one beer = one pint).

Mill grain.
Mash in
Drain/recirculate
Boil
Whirlpool
Drain into cube or chill into fermenter
Clean up
Crack a beer in celebration.

So about 12-15 pints all up if we include step mashes.

The war wasn't won by teetotallers.

Agree totally! Especially when you mash in around 6 am :)

The issue with this motto is your f***ed when you run out of beer. Catch 22.

I love brew days and always have few while brewing, missing hops additions by a few minutes was my big failure. Now I use a timer, works for me.
There's a differance between having a few and being sloshed though.

I work on a drinking ratio of 0.5 pints per litre of beer brewed. This is based on an into the fermenter volume, sometimes on a preboil volume if I am feeling generous. Late drinking levels may be increased to 1.0 - 1.5 pints, depending upon the style of beer being brewed.

I work on a drinking ratio of 0.5 pints per litre of beer brewed. This is based on an into the fermenter volume, sometimes on a preboil volume if I am feeling generous. Late drinking levels may be increased to 1.0 - 1.5 pints, depending upon the style of beer being brewed.

Jeezuz Malted. If I did that I'd have to have 27.5 Pints. And thats at your non-generous rate.
I guarantee there would be 0L getting to the fermenter if I had 27.5 Pints.

If my maths and guess is right, you're slamming down around 10 pints per brew day?

Jeezuz Malted. If I did that I'd have to have 27.5 Pints. And thats at your non-generous rate.
I guarantee there would be 0L getting to the fermenter if I had 27.5 Pints.

If my maths and guess is right, you're slamming down around 10 pints per brew day?

I did this accidently tuesday night. Had some friends over, and got way to involved with the freshly balanced keg fridge. According to the boys I polished off around 11 pints of Munich Lager. Everyone else stopped at a somewhat sensible level.

Woke up for work at 7 the next morning like I'd been hit by a truck.

No brews for me on brew day as of yet, I'm still learning the ropes so to speak, so no need to introduce anything else that would help me forget hahaha

Back