Doing My First ~10l Biab Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi AdamFromWH,
The whirlpool assists in removong hot break, which is the by-products of the boil that you do not want in your beer for many reasons, not just clarity of the final beer. The "break" in the kettle should be removed as much as possible. Not saying your beer would be bad or anything, but this is just what I understand is good brewing practice for well established reasons.

Fear.

URL for additional opinions/results kettle trub into fermenter:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Episode- February 23, 2012 - "Trub Experiment Results"
James and Chris Colby, editor of Brew Your Own magazine, go over the results of the BYO-BBR Collaborative Experiment on kettle trub in the fermenter.

Cheers Thylacine,
That was very interesting. Good link mate.

Fear.

Hey lads,

Have since invested in a cube (20L that holds 23 odd) for the larger brews, but as was previously mentioned, 10L isn't going to take long to cool, so I'll do that.

Will keep you updated with some pictures hopefully :)

Hey guys, hate to bother you all again, but I have set it down to ferment (did this last night about 5pm) and today I'm seeing a lack of yeast activity in the fermenter, just some sparse and small bubblescavering half on the top.

Is it too early for too much activity? I only pitched half the yeast (Saf US-05) because it is a 10L batch, should I pitch the rest?

Hey guys, hate to bother you all again, but I have set it down to ferment (did this last night about 5pm) and today I'm seeing a lack of yeast activity in the fermenter, just some sparse and small bubblescavering half on the top.

Is it too early for too much activity? I only pitched half the yeast (Saf US-05) because it is a 10L batch, should I pitch the rest?

You are still in the lag phase (when the yeast you pitch are multiplying) so that is normal. 1/2 a pack is ok but putting the howl pack in would not have hurt either.

Did you aerate? Rehydrate?

Anyway, the very best lag phases are over in 8 hrs, so 12-24 is nothing unusual.

Don't worry :)

Hi guys,
Thought I would update you with how the brew went! It hit FG (1.011) after only four days, left it for the same, and then bottled it after 8. It was clear in the fermenter (those 10L batches are faster!).

Tried one on Christmas day and it was really green... I was slightly disappointed, there were hints of banana despite my ferment being primarily around 18-20 degrees. Anyway, I didn't finish it, but decided the less than a week condition meant it could only improve.

Over two weeks since bottling and I tried another one. The bottles are crystal clear in my conditioning cupboard, with a little layer of yeast trub at the bottom. I chilled it down in the fridge and it copped some chill haze, so I'll work on that next time.

But wow. All grain is fantastic, this brew is as good as micro-brew APAs. No more banana, just pure Cascade hoppiness- it's just gorgeous!

I'll have to check my notes for the exact recipe, but it's a dead set beauty, so I'll let you all know (terribly easy for beginners, so feel free to use it!).

Here is a pic of the beer in a pot glass.

154413_4537349105335_755528801_n.jpg

Looks good mate. Well done. Once you taste your first your hooked and then your hobby which started out as a cheap way of drinking beer will become more expensive than if you had just stuck with megaswill.

But its worth it.. :D

Hi guys,
Thought I would update you with how the brew went! It hit FG (1.011) after only four days, left it for the same, and then bottled it after 8. It was clear in the fermenter (those 10L batches are faster!).

Tried one on Christmas day and it was really green... I was slightly disappointed, there were hints of banana despite my ferment being primarily around 18-20 degrees. Anyway, I didn't finish it, but decided the less than a week condition meant it could only improve.

Over two weeks since bottling and I tried another one. The bottles are crystal clear in my conditioning cupboard, with a little layer of yeast trub at the bottom. I chilled it down in the fridge and it copped some chill haze, so I'll work on that next time.

But wow. All grain is fantastic, this brew is as good as micro-brew APAs. No more banana, just pure Cascade hoppiness- it's just gorgeous!

I'll have to check my notes for the exact recipe, but it's a dead set beauty, so I'll let you all know (terribly easy for beginners, so feel free to use it!).

Here is a pic of the beer in a pot glass.

154413_4537349105335_755528801_n.jpg

i'm glad it turned out just fine and the onychophagia was for nothing :D

Latest posts

Back