Doing a brewery tour this long weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Well Ive managed to arrange a brewery tour this weekend, thinly disguised as a romantic getaway with the missus. (Subtlety is the key with SWMBO.)

Plan on spending Saturday night in Benalla then going to The Black Dog Brewery in Taminick. Then after a quick visit to see some Ned kelly shit (Just so its not all about beer) heading off to Buffalo brewery, Bridge road, then on to Tawonga where were staying for 2 nights.

Then the next day its Bright brewery and Sweetwater brewery.
If it manages to snow this weekend might head up the mountain for some snow play. But if it doesn't can always go back to the breweries again.

Other than Bridge road have never been to the other breweries so looking forward to it.

Of course we are just happening to stumble upon these breweries and I had no idea they were up that way. The missus has a knack of cracking it if I arrange these things saying "Its always about beer" But shes the first to want to go and try the beers and have lunch if we do come across one. :D

Did the bright tour recently. Good beers there!

Black Dog is a cracker,a very solid IPA and stout,but you'll miss his oak fermented/aged RIS due out in a few weeks.Forget Buffalo,rubbish beer.Sweetwater are clean fairly average beers.Have fun,sounds like a good drive.

symphony1975 said:
don't bother with Buffalo.......really bad beer
Well I need to probably drop one as I don't think I'll have the time anyway so Buffalo is off the list.

Truman said:
Well Ive managed to arrange a brewery tour this weekend, thinly disguised as a romantic getaway with the missus. (Subtlety is the key with SWMBO.)
I'm heading over to Victoria to do something similar in late July. Luckily for me, my girlfriend considers a romantic getaway and a brewery tour to be the same thing and it was her idea :wub:

Will keep these places in mind when we get to planning it.

krausenhaus said:
I'm heading over to Victoria to do something similar in late July. Luckily for me, my girlfriend considers a romantic getaway and a brewery tour to be the same thing and it was her idea :wub:

Will keep these places in mind when we get to planning it.
Quick… get a ring on' it… lol

yep, keep buffalo off the list. No good and its actually a bit out of the way when compared to the other ones. The other 4 have a 'passport' you get stamped for the high country brewery trail, make sure you pick up a copy.

Grew up over the hill (literally) from glenrowan so know that area well. If staying in benalla, Hides Bakery (near maccas) is the pick of the bunch in the town. Haven't been to a pub there for a very long time, for good reason. Grab some half decent beer from safeway (or decent, Bridge road has been spotted there) and if the weather is decent, fish and chips on the lake foreshore is always fun.

I did near enough this same thing a couple of weeks ago. Loved Taminick Cellars (the home of Black Dog Brewery) because I actually got to meet a beer logo (the dog) and James Booth the brewer came out and spoke to me for a good 15 mins, and was bottling at the time and brought some down.

Stayed in Beechworth so spent 2 nights at Bridge Road.

And I was lucky enough the harvest festival was on so got to meet the brewers from Bright and Sweetwater.

Queens Birthday weekend, I'm heading to Mornington to get to Mornington Peinsula Brewery and Red Hill. I do review beers as well on my website www.366daysofbeer.com , that came about as a competition I did with a mate last year where we drunk a different Aussie beer every day of the year.

Black Dogs IPA is a cracker.

At Bright BRewery, see if they have any of their Harvet Ale left. Beautiful.

sounds like a great weekend!
I love Bright - im a bit partial as my parents live just outside Bright. I love the double and the smoked beer. They might still have some of the barley wine they brewed for GABS.
Sweetwater for me is intreasting but not as good but in the same way Bright was a little average at the start and now are smashing it. I think most commercial breweries struggle at the start but get better.
On the road from Tamanick to Bright take the "snow road" it runs through Milawa where Brown Brothers Winery is, keef the wife happy and you drive right past.
On the Snow road check out Snow Road Produce (1604 Snow Rd Milawa) they do good coffee and food as well as having local Beer, wine and food to take away.
Tamanick cellars do some good wines too :)
If your looking for a good meal in Bright check out Simones - it won best reigonal food in the Age a few years ago. Its great and not too expensive, the Japanise is also highly rated but I have never been there. The head chef is well known.
I am yet to make it to Beachworth but love the beers!

Scobieb said:
Queens Birthday weekend, I'm heading to Mornington to get to Mornington Peinsula Brewery and Red Hill.
if your heading down that way dont forget to call into Hickinbotham on the way. They also have some great beers and wines if your into it. Also Sorento Hotel does a good feed and has some decent beers, Holgate, and Moa that I can recall.

Thanks gents for the tips and advice on what to do up that way. Appreciated.

krausenhaus said:
what can I say? I'm a catch!!

Back