D'oh, I Must Have Screwed Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark blower

Reaction score
G'day Guys

Onto my 5th brew and I think I have screwed it up and it is infected..

Went for a 2 can trick (got some cans for Free). 2 cans Tooheys Lager, 500g light malt, 250g dried corn syrup. I chucked it into a second fermenter after 3 days and everything looked fine. Due to lack of fridge space I haven't put it into a cube to CC for 13 days. I went to do this last night but when I opened the fermenter I found it had a white skin on top. The skin looks like a lot of little lines..

I'm assuming I didn't clean the second fermenter as well as I should have and the beer has an infection.

Can someone confirm that is is the case?

Cheers
Blower

Sounds like an infenction to me I'm afraid, but wait for a second opinion before you turf it.

I think I'll cry throwing it out....

Wasted Beer the only thing that can bring a grown man to tears

Have you tasted it? All might not be lost...

Shawn

Mark,

Don't throw it. Have you tasted it yet? If it tastes OK and final grav is OK. Rack it to CC.

Also white skin could also be floating yeast or even the krausen that sticks to the top of the fermenter may have come adrift onto the wort surface. When you've moved the fermenter.

Don't chuck the baby with the bathwater.

Warren -

Didn't try it, I thought once infection took hold it would be all over.. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Must have slipped that one in while I was typing Shawn.

Sick minds think alike. :D

Warren -
\

Thanks Warren..

I'll rack it tonight and go from there, Would you recommend scooping the skin off first.. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the yeast (kinda looks like it), just very surprised to find it on top like a skin..

The original reading was very high 1080 would that have anything to do with it?

Warren,

My mind would be a lot better off without all the beer I've forced into it over the last 2 nights. I'm getting too old for all this midweek activity :lol:

Mark,

If it is infected you will know as soon as you taste and smell it. Believe me... But it would be pretty rash to chuck it out without tasting it on the strength of a 'white film'. Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose by trying it and might just be able to salvage your brew.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Shawn,

All in the name of research! :super: Ya gotta do the hard yards. B)

Mark,

Another thing I forgot to mention. Don't ever bother with dried corn syrup or maltodextrin powder of any type again. It will just add a very clingy type of body to your beer that achieves nothing. May even be a chance that it's causing your white film. Though I doubt it.

Still puzzles me why HB stores even sell the stuff.

Warren -

This is why I like this forum.. I originally got the corn syrup because I was making a honey beer and the guy at the HB shop told me it will give a better head... Anything to make a buck..

Thanks for your help guys it has been very helpful.. Can't wait for the day I can be on the other side helping newbies

Back