Does Your Home Brew Have An Effect On You?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
Most of the AG brews I do I get between 4.6% - 6.3% ABV. However, I seem to have a high tolerance toward the alcohol produced. i.e. I drink all night and can barely feel pissed.

Most of these times I have been busy doing stuff while drinking so put it down to that. However, I don't think this is always the case as I can still get pissed on commercial beers.

Just wondering if there is anyone that feel the same way toward their brews?

Perception only, ethanol is ethanol not matter how produced.

Ever been the non drinker with your normal drinking mates, toward the end of the night...fark i cant be like them ?

are u thinking of commercial brews drunk at home or out? habituation to environment? tests on rats show higher tolerance to opiates when consumed in a familar environment than a new one.

do need to set a side by side testing with some identical twins . . .

It's a setting situation, I know what you mean though

My homebrew makes me drunk, fat, and - metaphorically - covetous of my neighbour's wife.

My homebrew gets me giggly & horny. My wife likes it.

Full strength commercial gets me tired, nasty & aggressive. Unless there's craft brew on offer I stick with xxxx gold or hahn light.

I blame the preservatives lol.

It's all perception and setting, more related to where you are, what you are doing, eating than the actual beer you are drinking.

my homebrew make me more mellow than megaswill does, I put it down to the use of real hops in the homebrew B)

cheers steve

My homebrew gives me the runs..... oh no - hang on. That was BribieG's vindaloo at the case swap last night.... :blink:

Cheers - Snow

i find that if i get home from work after not eating for a few hours i can feel the first.
but i tend to drink slower as i just enjoy HB more.

sometimes i have mates come over and then i feel it, smashing pint after pint.
i never seem to get hangovers just a bloated gut from filling it up with litres
of beer.

i feel the more homebrew i drink the more i need to piss during the night so drinking during working week is no good. even on the weekends its not so good.

just a thought. do you think that the beer we HB'ers produce may have a
a "natural" type of enthonal compared to the main stream fast ferment
beers?

maybe our body processes that ehtonal in main stream beers differently?

Ethanol is ethanol mate.

Couple of carbon, an oxygen and a few hydrogen structured in a particular way.

Might be some other stuff in some of the bigger produced commercials that interact with the way you feel intoxicated but the ethanol itself is identical.

just a thought. do you think that the beer we HB'ers produce may have a
a "natural" type of enthonal compared to the main stream fast ferment
beers?

maybe our body processes that ehtonal in main stream beers differently?
I'd bet my rig that homebrewers (on average) would brew rougher beers than the megas.

Ethanol is ethanol mate.

Couple of carbon, an oxygen and a few hydrogen structured in a particular way.

Might be some other stuff in some of the bigger produced commercials that interact with the way you feel intoxicated but the ethanol itself is identical.

I think you are on the money manticle....... lots of other "stuff" in the megaswill that may be the culprit.

Ethanol is ethanol.

There may be slight variances in other ferment bi-products like fusel oils/alcohols from higher ferment temps in commercial beers, but I don't think anyone adds preservatives anymore, they just use pasteurisation. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Although I agree that a lot is to do with the familiarity of the environment we are in. However, that doesn't explain the fact that the commercial beers seem to get me more intoxicated, or I feel more intoxicated, than my home brew even though the home brew has a higher ABV% in the same environment.

Maybe Manticle is onto something with regards to the other ingredients used in commercial beers that I may have more of a reaction to.

Back