Does This Crush Look Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Just been seting up my BC mill ready for the first brew (waiting for the base plate and handle to dry as i have varnished them thanks Ken)

I will attempt to add 2 photo's. I dont know if the grain to split open to much, and to much "flour" or in the other the grain is not split open enough.

thanks for any help as i dont know what i should be looking for and this will effect my brew efficency (i'll add some extra grain to cover this)

here is the first with a closer setting

Grain1.jpg

For my system I would go the first picture.

However depending on your manifold/false bottom in your MLT you may have too much flour which would result in a stuck sparge.

If you are unsure then try the second and see how you go.

Then start reducing the gap on your mill and see how you go.

This is what I did. I started with a good crush but not too much flour. On my last brew I really narrowed the gap to the max setting for the wheat malt and one setting back for the other malts. Quite a bit of flour, but with the mesh bag I put over my manifold I can't really get a stuck sparge.

HTH,
Doc

PS: Next brew day I'll take some pictures of my crush.

Thanks Doc, I feel like a new brewer again stressing and worried about everything :)

I use a bucket in bucket (25Lt) method with...2mm holes

I always worry about my crush , will be better when the Valley arrives , wife says the cooks would like it !

what? you blokes have still some fish in victorian waters to catch hey?thought those vietnamese caught them all.

"Some" people still take undersize fish and kill then to "eat" although there is nothing on them i fish and release 99% the time, i think i have kept 3 fish last season a elephant shark, and 2 brown trout. Wont keep the trout next time..

Wouldn't mind a snapper for the bbq this yr :)

Back