Does this AG APA recipe make sense?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnailAle

Reaction score
So I've been fiddling around trying to make my first recipe and I'm wondering if this attempt makes sense to people?

I'd be planning on a single step mash at 66 for one hour followed by a 1 hr boil.

Appreciate any help.

20171107_155436.jpg

12.5% crystal malt is pretty high. Try maybe 5% and adjust higher on your next brew if it's not enough to your liking.

I will preface my responses by saying this is just my opinion..

But hate using any cara or crystal malts in an APA. Without the addition of darker roasted malts to balance the cara/crystal, i feel you will end up with a sweet beer (in perception and body). I know it is commonplace in commercial examples, but it needs to be restrained.

If you want to balance what you have, add more IBUs or darker grains, or drop the crystal down a (fair) bit.

Appreciate the advice guys, I'm not too sensitive so I don't mind the constructive criticism. I'll knock it back a fair amount.

definitely reduce the crystal malt, Id suggest 4% Caramunich and 2% crystal 40L

Mashed at 66c will be fine not leaving it too sweet with a FG of 1011.

To get your columns in order on BS, click on the number column and it will sort then 1 through to 12 for easier reading.

oh and your zero min additions will add IBU, so change that to a steep/whirlpool and make it 10mins. with that in mind Id drop the Magnum back to account for those 'said steep/whirlpool hops added, still aim for 36ibu for the beer.

I have had good luck using some 10 - 20% Vienna instead of crystal. It adds body without sweetness.
I have also tried using a small amount ~5% of Red Back instead of crystal for something different again.

Also why use fresh yeast for something like a pale ale, the yeast contributes no flavour being as neutral as possible I would just go with dry US05 cheaper with the same result. You could even go with a Lager yeast if you have temp control, there is growing chatter about APL & IPL.

Also you have way to many types of hops in the recipe. I would advice you to use one type or maybe two at the most. That way you get an idea of what the hops actually contributes, and if you like it or not. The best APA's I have made were those akin to a SMASH. It brings a clarity of HOP flavour. I would say start with Cascade since its the hops that unpinned the craft beer revolution and the growth in popularity of APA.

Also I see you are adding acidualted malt, for increased hop utilisation, however at 3.1% you risk getting an acid tartness in the background in your finished beer. I would keep it to under 2% to be safe. Or even better, get PH test strips and test your mash and see if you even need to add it if your PH is a little high.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, I've tried to hybridise the comments into the recipe. This is where I'm at. I've kept a couple of hops mostly because I want to use them over a few different beers so I can buy them in larger quantities. Also, at this stage I really like cascade and galaxy for flavour and aroma. Again happy for any comments. EDIT: carared is actually redback, couldn't find it in beersmith though. What ive found most challenging is that on G&G website the malts have quite broad EBC ranges.
20171109_200649.jpg

Also I wanted to do a blonde for Xmas, this is a mix of a couple of recipes online along with what I can source. I was thinking of doing a step mash as I've read a few people online have done, low 60s and then high 60s. Either that or just a 90 minute at 65 Maybe? Appreciate comments on this too please, again not sensitive so say what needs saying!

20171109_200828.jpg

In Beersmith go to File > Add-ons > Add > Gladfield Malts. Red Back is listed there (mind the space between - the Ingredient search won't find "Redback").

Doing a blonde for Xmas? I am too buddy! She's considering going brunette though. Re the step mash though.. mashing lower - ie lower 60s - will give you a drier beer, even in a step mash, since well modified malts tend to convert very quickly - ie in the first 20min or so. I suggest you not overcomplicate the matter, pick a mash temp and stick to it. If you want a dry beer, mash at 63, medium is 66, full is 69.. let Beersmith suggest strike temps etc depending on your mash profile.

What yeast are you using for the Blonde?

In Beersmith go to File > Add-ons > Add > Gladfield Malts. Red Back is listed there (mind the space between - the Ingredient search won't find "Redback").

Doing a blonde for Xmas? I am too buddy! She's considering going brunette though. Re the step mash though.. mashing lower - ie lower 60s - will give you a drier beer, even in a step mash, since well modified malts tend to convert very quickly - ie in the first 20min or so. I suggest you not overcomplicate the matter, pick a mash temp and stick to it. If you want a dry beer, mash at 63, medium is 66, full is 69.. let Beersmith suggest strike temps etc depending on your mash profile.

What yeast are you using for the Blonde?

Thanks mate, I'll add in the gladfields,

No worries on the mash stepping, haven't played with it before but was tempted to try it.

Haven't decided yet, thought it'd be interesting to try a kolsch but I can't control the temp or get fresh yeasts here. So maybe something like Nottingham?

Notto will do the job but it tends to attenuate a little higher - you'll get a drier beer out of it. Not a bad thing necessarily, with the coming summer.

What's the ambient temp where you are? Kolsch yeasts are ale yeasts, 18C is fine.

100g of Vienna won't help your beer. Subbing out a kg of Pils for Vienna will.

Edit- I Have a similar beer to your Blonde on tap ATM, with the Vienna upped. All Cascade. Fermented out to 1004 with Notto. Very dry, easy drinking deliciousness.

Last edited:
Notto will do the job but it tends to attenuate a little higher - you'll get a drier beer out of it. Not a bad thing necessarily, with the coming summer.

What's the ambient temp where you are? Kolsch yeasts are ale yeasts, 18C is fine.
Low 20s, that's why I thought it might be a little better.

100g of Vienna won't help your beer. Subbing out a kg of Pils for Vienna will.

Edit- I Have a similar beer to your Blonde on tap ATM, with the Vienna upped. All Cascade. Fermented out to 1004 with Notto. Very dry, easy drinking deliciousness.
No worries I'll do that, was just trying to use up this big bag of pils I have! Thanks for the advice mate

Drop the vienna and crystal malt add some wheat and up the caterpillers to 200gm aim for around 1.050 in S.G cause inevitably you will loose a few pts which is ok . If you have more Magnum up it to 12gm @ 60 min , drop your 25min hop addition and incorporate it into you 10 and 5 min additions and aim for around 26IBU it will end up a bit more balanced .Your choice of yeast and if you want it a little drier mash at around 64*C.Just dropped the recipe into BS
3.5 kg pils
1.00 kg Wheat
200 gms Caterpillers
12 gm Magnum @60 min
10 gm Cascade @10 min
10gm Cascade @5 min
1.046 O.G
24.5 IBU
Colour 6.7
ABV 4.6%
Your choice of yeast

Last edited:
Try and keep the recipes more simple they taste better . You try and throw a shit load of different malts and hops at it and it forgets what it wants to be . Sometimes less is more

Latest posts

Back