Does Size Count?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gybrid

Reaction score
I bought a 25l drum/fermenter from bunnings and was wondering if that's okay to use as my other one is a 30l (come in the kit).

Most brews are 23l anyway so i figure it's alright, so long as it doesn't go ape and foam comes out of the top?

Jase

i would say it should be ok but i just use those Bunnings 25 litre drums to rack into, after primary fermentation. I say SHOULD be ko as even with my 30 litre job i still have blow outs with the odd big stout. Anyway as long as you have one 30 litre drum, just use the 25's to rack to and get a new one going in the 30 litre. Of coarse you will need 2-25 litre drums then, if you follow. (you need a spare to bulk prime in)

Size does matter, so does quantity.

You are on the slippery slope of brewing, next will be a 60 litre fermenter, then another 30 litre, then some nice glassware.....then some more nice glassware of varying sizes, matching bungs, more airlocks, a bigger brewery, a bigger house....

Many homebrew kits come standard with a 25 litre bucket and these will serve your purpose.

For your brew vessel, it doesn't matter how much headspace you have, if the foam gets a bit much, just fit a blowoff tube. For your vessel that you are racking to for secondary, you are aiming to have minimum free air space.

How much do those plastic 60L fermenters cost? I reckon I could go one of those.

Kai

I paid about $65 from Menzels without a tap. You should be able to get them at most plastic places around that price or probably cheaper.

Cheers
Pedro

Back