Does my yeast / trub look a bit odd

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollster101

Reaction score
In the FWK beers I have done to date I have had trub / yeast settle out in my fermentasaurus collection bottle with a generally uniform shape. I am brewing a Bavarian Weizen using Wyeast 3068 which took quite some time to get going and after re-pitching from the colelction bottle appears to be moving and the gravity has dropped.

I am no expert in trub or yeast formations but the brews I have done to date don't resemble what I am seeing at the moment. Does the attached image look like an issue?
Trub.jpg

I think you are looking at a big clump of trub (probably hot break material). Wheat tends to have a higher protein content than does barley malt, we tend to get more break material (condensed protein/tannins...).
I would normally do a longer boil on wheat beers, usually about 90 minutes, and be a lot more patient with letting the break material settle. Some people making wheat beers try to save a couple of dollars by using some unmalted wheat, generally this is going to be feed grade wheat that has an even higher protein content than does most of what we select for brewing.
Naturally this leads to even more trub.

There might be some yeast mixed in with the big knobbly crud ball but most of the yeast is that creamy lookin stuff in the toes of your bottle and in the voids in the break material.

Odds on if you pitched the whole thing most of the yeast would get to work and most of trub would resettle, might be worth doing a trub dump as soon as the beer gets going.
Mark

I think you are looking at a big clump of trub (probably hot break material). Wheat tends to have a higher protein content than does barley malt, we tend to get more break material (condensed protein/tannins...).
I would normally do a longer boil on wheat beers, usually about 90 minutes, and be a lot more patient with letting the break material settle. Some people making wheat beers try to save a couple of dollars by using some unmalted wheat, generally this is going to be feed grade wheat that has an even higher protein content than does most of what we select for brewing.
Naturally this leads to even more trub.

There might be some yeast mixed in with the big knobbly crud ball but most of the yeast is that creamy lookin stuff in the toes of your bottle and in the voids in the break material.

Odds on if you pitched the whole thing most of the yeast would get to work and most of trub would resettle, might be worth doing a trub dump as soon as the beer gets going.
Mark
Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of the differences between the wheat and barley side of things. The ferment is moving now so I will look to ditch the bottle and replace with a freshly sanitised one.

My biggest concern was whether I may have picked up some beasties that were causing the weird formation.

Nothing suss there, just a pile of protein. If you want to try separating that a little bit try this: get it very cold, shake vigorously, stand for 10mins. A good portion of the protein will drop back out as its heavier. Yeast will stay in suspension along with some protein, but should look a lot better.

Take MHBs advice for a pitch and ditch early in next batch.

Nothing suss there, just a pile of protein. If you want to try separating that a little bit try this: get it very cold, shake vigorously, stand for 10mins. A good portion of the protein will drop back out as its heavier. Yeast will stay in suspension along with some protein, but should look a lot better.

Take MHBs advice for a pitch and ditch early in next batch.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back