Does It Exist?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
So, wouldn't it be easy if there was a device which switched between normal mains power sources according to temperature?

I'm imagining some kind of double-adapter style thing with a temperature sensor which you can simply plug normal mains plugs into. Fridge would go in one, heat mat in the other, bundle the whole lot into the fridge somehow with your keg (there'd need to be at least one cord poking out somehow) and voila. Temperature rises, device switches fridge on. Temperature falls, device switches heat mat on. No need to play around with wiring, just a super-simple way of controlling temps.

Does such a thing exist?

- Just want to add, I'm talking about something that you can plug regular power plugs into. I've seen plenty of temperature controllers that require wiring, but I'm not an electrician

So, wouldn't it be easy if there was a device which switched between normal mains power sources according to temperature?

I'm imagining some kind of double-adapter style thing with a temperature sensor which you can simply plug normal mains plugs into. Fridge would go in one, heat mat in the other, bundle the whole lot into the fridge somehow with your keg (there'd need to be at least one cord poking out somehow) and voila. Temperature rises, device switches fridge on. Temperature falls, device switches heat mat on. No need to play around with wiring, just a super-simple way of controlling temps.

Does such a thing exist?

It's called a temp controller.

Just be sure you get one that is capable of heating and cooling from the same box. Many have both features but you need to unplug the fridge/plug in the heat mat to switch from cooling to heating 'mode'. Some have both, so no need to change plugs/settings.

Check the suppliers ^^^ for examples.

Don't know if this one does both, but it's the most commonly mentioned temp controller (STC-1000)
http://tiny.cc/pedbhw

I've seen plenty of different controllers, but they nearly all require wiring of some sort. I'm looking for a simple plug-in-and-go style thingy. I guess I didn't make that entirely clear, but yeah, using regular power point plugs.

Thats exactly what my STC1000 does.

Wouldnt be too hard to hard wire it direct to your fridge and heat mat and just have one cable coming out going to the power supply. Im sure its been done before.

There are (more expensive) assembled options, but if you can put together an 8-11 Lego kit, you can assemble a temp controller (imho, ymmv, you may die from electrocution/house fire :D).
You chop up a power extension cord to create 'plug and play' connections with normal plugs for fridge/heat mat.

I've seen plenty of different controllers, but they nearly all require wiring of some sort. I'm looking for a simple plug-in-and-go style thingy. I guess I didn't make that entirely clear, but yeah, using regular power point plugs.

Buy a temp controller from a brew shop. keg king sell them already wired up ready to go just plug your fridge and heat mat in the back. Is that what you mean or are we all missing something here?

yeah, but the thing is, usually its either too cold in winter, or too hot in summer. so you can just switch from fridge to heat pad as needed.

Indeed. Also, I don't have a fridge yet anyway. Or a heat mat. Hmmm ...

LOL, sounds like you've got it all to do!

Once you get a fridge and heat source (I use a reptile mat thing) then you'll be wanting the temp controller.
Here is a dual one but you pay a big premium to have it ready wired, you could probably source cheaper from eBay or elsewhere.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/temper...tat-auto-switch

If you ran two separately, mightn't you create a feedback loop where both where running simultaneously?!
Better to have 1 box?

Would it hurt to have them a few degrees apart? So that it only cools above 20 and only heats below 18, for example?

Would it hurt to have them a few degrees apart? So that it only cools above 20 and only heats below 18, for example?
Yes, most controllers have a tolerance (eg set temperature to 19C but only start cooling at 20C) having two controllers could easily create the feedback loop and have both the heating and cooling work at the same time.
If you don't want to wire it yourself - and you need both heating and cooling - the KegKing controller is probably the best option.

Back