Does Chrome React With Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick one.

As stated in other threads nickle-plated brass is ok to use in brew gear...BUT...what about chrome-plated stuff?

Any advice would be great.......if I shouldn't you had better stop me before I do something stupid and waste 45 litres of wort! :eek:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Hey guys, just a quick one.

As stated in other threads nickle-plated brass is ok to use in brew gear...BUT...what about chrome-plated stuff?

Any advice would be great.......if I shouldn't you had better stop me before I do something stupid and waste 45 litres of wort! :eek:

PZ.
[post="87700"][/post]​

Chrome is fine :super:

Whoops, I guess I jumped the gun a bit there....my taps are chromed brass :lol:

IMHO - as long as the chrome does not come in touch with the beer.
eg if u fitted a chrome plated nut and tail onto the ball valve inside your Mash Tun - i dont think would be good - something to do with PH and stuff - but i am no chemist - it is just something i would not do.

I use Stainless Steel - but it costs more.

I want stainless steel, but I can't source the fittings locally today... :(

Btw, it's in the fermenter, so the brew will be in contact with it for a LONG time.

PZ.

Is cyanide used in chrome plating! Certainly is in zinc plating. In the beer it probably isn't a good idea. Don't blame me you asked.
cheers
Darren

no the cyanide was taken out of the copper plating process which was done before the chrome plating to give a better longer lasting finish. this is also the reason i cant get great chrome for my other hobby, my bug.

barls said:
the cyanide was taken out of the copper plating process which was done before the chrome plating
Good, the fermenter is now loaded with 45L of soon-to-be ale :D

this is also the reason i cant get great chrome for my other hobby, my bug.
Not good :(

PZ.

Yep, it's taking ages for me to load the pics at 49.2k connection speed :lol:

I'll definitely check it tomorrow @ work, as although I don't wish to own one, I still appreciate a nice buggy :beer:

PZ.

not a problem i could help you find one if your serious. i know of a few around at the moment

Back to the question of chrome and nickel being bad in beer..... what do people think is added to steel to make it stainless. None other than the above 2 metals.

Safe :)

barls,

my inlaws are big time vintage car freeks and all the vintage guys (NSW) seem to like the chrome plating job done by a mob in Hamilton, Newcastle. Do you know of them/tried them. Good reputation amongst the fussy buggers.

Borret

Borret said:
Back to the question of chrome and nickel being bad in beer..... what do people think is added to steel to make it stainless. None other than the above 2 metals.

Borret
[post="87847"][/post]​

Glad to see someone agreed with me :D

no i didnt borret maybe you can get me some contact details for them cause i think the old man is using a mob in coffs at the moment. also im from up that way but past you another 2 hours ie taree

Ross said:
Borret said:

Borret
[post="87847"][/post]​

Glad to see someone agreed with me
[post="87850"][/post]​

Dare we tell them that some machining grades of stainless contain lead. :ph34r: Doesn't that blow all the brass hating stainless users out of the water :lol:

Borret :p

Borret said:
Ross said:
Borret said:

Borret
[post="87847"][/post]​

Glad to see someone agreed with me
[post="87850"][/post]​

Dare we tell them that some machining grades of stainless contain lead. :ph34r: Doesn't that blow all the brass hating stainless users out of the water :lol:

Borret
[post="87855"][/post]​

Don't start me - metals are my business & it makes me laugh the way some people carry on :D

barls said:
no i didnt borret maybe you can get me some contact details for them cause i think the old man is using a mob in coffs at the moment. also im from up that way but past you another 2 hours ie taree
[post="87854"][/post]​

I'll see what I can find out. Probably been a couple of years since the father in law got something from them but one of our friends down here does some hobby foundry work and still gets them to plate it (mascots, hub centres, rad caps etc)I assume their quality is still good.

Taree, eh, centre of the universe. Everyone seems to have a connection to it. I grew up out near Krambach.

Borret

Nice wheels Barls fair bit of work done there :beerbang:

Borret said:

I'm not particularly concerned about the levels of lead in brass...almost every glass of water I have ever consumed came through a system with brass fittings & even taps, plus the water in my beer does too :)

The reasons I went for the chrome-plated fitting are these:
a- Chrome is easy to clean.
b- I found myself more concerned about the fact that brass is semi-porous and may harbour otherwise non-hazardous bacteria that might screw with my brew...don't tell me it isn't porous either, I've oiled many a spigot bush in my day ;)

PZ.

Back