does Biofine clear need boiling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looflirpa

Reaction score
first time user but can't find answer after lots of search
just wondering if i can just pitch 20 ml from the original bottle to fermenter, without diluting and boiling?

If kegging, just add to keg. I use around 5ml and get perfectly bright beer.

If bottling, I'd personally dilute 5ml with some sterile water and stir in gently - preferably into beer as near to zero degrees as possible and as clear as possible. I've actually been thinking about the bottling thing myself (I rarely bottle but have a case swap coming up) and wonder about diluting say 3ml and squirting a small amount into the bottles with a hypodermic at the same time as I pop the sugar cube in.

Where did you get the boiling idea from?

If kegging, just add to keg. I use around 5ml and get perfectly bright beer.

If bottling, I'd personally dilute 5ml with some sterile water and stir in gently - preferably into beer as near to zero degrees as possible and as clear as possible. I've actually been thinking about the bottling thing myself (I rarely bottle but have a case swap coming up) and wonder about diluting say 3ml and squirting a small amount into the bottles with a hypodermic at the same time as I pop the sugar cube in.

Where did you get the boiling idea from?
Thanks so much.
Forgot to say i am kegging. Not sure where boiling idea come from but maybe a method to sanitize or for powder gelatin only?
Now the beer is cold crashing. it began from last night 20C till now only 5C. Target is 2C.
My plan is to add Biofine to fermenter after cold crashing so that the beer transfer to keg later will be all clear.

Should not reuse yeast treated with silica hydrogels for repitch or carbonation - coats the yeast and affects performance

The advantage of adding to keg at the beginning is that it gets swirled around and mixed in as the beer gets transferred.
Commercial users on the forum have commented that they try to mix as thoroughly as possible, even blasting CO2 through the beer.

Personally I transfer to a keg filled with CO2 and never open a FV after the initial couple of days. The Biofine gets quickly popped in right at the start of racking.

Well, thanks for all reminding.
No plan to reuse yeast at the moment.
Plan modified: bottling 2-3 L without Biofine before kegging. Then pitch Biofine to keg(19L), transfer, ..., enjoy after pour out first couple of cups of sediment from keg. Hope not waste too much.

Thanks /// I'll just bottle for the case swap without any finings.

Back