Does Anyone Have A Gouda Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keezawitch

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have a recipe for homemade gouda using aussie measurements I am sick of converting gallon to ltre etc, if anyone has one it would be greatly appreciated :D

Hi, does anyone have a recipe for homemade gouda using aussie measurements I am sick of converting gallon to ltre etc, if anyone has one it would be greatly appreciated :D

I have a cheesemaking book with metric measurements. I'm pretty sure it has gouda... I'll look it up for you tonight.

Cheers
Dave

This is the recipe I use from 'Home Cheese Making' by Ricki Carrol (conversions to metric by me)

8L whole milk
1 packet direct set mesophilic starter
1/2 tsp liquid rennet in 1/4 cup cool unchlorinated water
brine (1kg salt, 4L water, 1tbsp CaCl)

Heat milk to 32C, add starter, mix and allow to ripen for 10 minutes
Add rennet, stirring and allow to set for 1 hour at 32C until clean break
Cut the curd into 1cm cubes and allow to sit for 10 minutes
Drain off 1/3 of the whey, and while stirring add just enough 80C water to raise the temp to 33/34C.
Allow to sit another 10 minutes and then drain off whey to the level of the curd
While stirring, slowly add enough 80C water to raise the temp to 38C.
Leave the curd at 38C for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid matting
Allow the curds to set for 30 minutes
Pour off the remaining whey
Quickly place the warm curds in cheese mould with cheesecloth and press at 10kg pressure for 20 mins
Turn and re-wrap cheese and press at 20kg pressure for 20 minutes
Repeat at 25kg pressure for 12-16 hours
Remove from press and make the saturated brine. Soak the cheese in the brine for 12 hours
Remove from the brine, pat dry and air dry at 10C for 3 weeks.
Wax the cheese
Age 3-4 months at 10C, turning 3-4 times a week.

Hope that helps.

This is the recipe I use from 'Home Cheese Making' by Ricki Carrol (conversions to metric by me)

8L whole milk
1 packet direct set mesophilic starter
1/2 tsp liquid rennet in 1/4 cup cool unchlorinated water
brine (1kg salt, 4L water, 1tbsp CaCl)

Heat milk to 32C, add starter, mix and allow to ripen for 10 minutes
Add rennet, stirring and allow to set for 1 hour at 32C until clean break
Cut the curd into 1cm cubes and allow to sit for 10 minutes
Drain off 1/3 of the whey, and while stirring add just enough 80C water to raise the temp to 33/34C.
Allow to sit another 10 minutes and then drain off whey to the level of the curd
While stirring, slowly add enough 80C water to raise the temp to 38C.
Leave the curd at 38C for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid matting
Allow the curds to set for 30 minutes
Pour off the remaining whey
Quickly place the warm curds in cheese mould with cheesecloth and press at 10kg pressure for 20 mins
Turn and re-wrap cheese and press at 20kg pressure for 20 minutes
Repeat at 25kg pressure for 12-16 hours
Remove from press and make the saturated brine. Soak the cheese in the brine for 12 hours
Remove from the brine, pat dry and air dry at 10C for 3 weeks.
Wax the cheese
Age 3-4 months at 10C, turning 3-4 times a week.

Hope that helps.

thanks, i have printed this off, thanks for the conversions, I have this book but i am a bit sick of doing conversions and the mes culture i use comes in a freeze dried pack that does 250lt so i will just add a tiny pinch and see how that goes, greatly appreciated.

All recipes appreciated thanks

I have a cheesemaking book with metric measurements. I'm pretty sure it has gouda... I'll look it up for you tonight.

Cheers
Dave

thanks, could i get the name of your book my book is american, great recipes hate converting them :)

thanks, could i get the name of your book my book is american, great recipes hate converting them :)

Sorry.. ran out of time last night. I'll grab the details for you tonight.

Get onto www.cheeseforum.org

It's like AHB but for cheesemakers. Plenty of Aussie/kiwi/UK folk on there who measure by metric.

Get onto www.cheeseforum.org

It's like AHB but for cheesemakers. Plenty of Aussie/kiwi/UK folk on there who measure by metric.

i am on that forum too still learning to navigate it, first time i have ever used forums, and it was AHB encouraged me to try others, thanks

Damn... just looked in the bookshelf. My cheesemaking book is out on loan at the moment. Sorry.

If it helps I bought it from cheeselinks.com.au - http://www.cheeselinks.com.au/book.html

Cheers
Dave

thanks i will check them out, i have my first cheddar pressing at the moment dont know how it will go it is being pressed with a can of peaches and two weight from an old gym set, fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back