Does anyone boil for > 90min?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
My go-to boil length is 90min for any beer. Ensures no DMS in lighter pils-base beers, and I apply it to ales for the Maillard reactions / darker hues / sexy ruby tones / ease of adapting my Beersmith equipment profile. Such sexy, sexy ruby tones.

Then there was that one beer. The one I made that was incredible but I've never been able to reproduce. I had about 50 people sample it at a family gathering and it remains the one EVERYBODY asks whether I have more of. It only recently occurred to me recently, when brewing that fabled magical wort, I actually miscalculated at the time and added far too much sparge water so had to increase the boil length to three hours to compensate.

My question is - has anyone else noticed an improvement in a batch when extending the boil time? What style was it? Mine was an IPA. Every other aspect of that brew day was fairly vanilla.

NB: I am very aware of the exbeeriments on this topic undertaken by Brulosophy and choose not to consider them.

Yes - if doing something like a wee heavy or doppelbock.
3 hrs is my go to there.
SMASH wee heavy or a touch of roast barley for that dry roast but no crystal - just uk pale. 3 hr boil, you’d swear there was crystal in there. Obviously volume is reduced and/or grain bill increased.

I often end up with 2+ hr boils as I am often pretty generous sparging into the kettle. I do notice after such a long boil the wort gets very bright with large snail size flocs without any help with finings. Apart from that I haven't noticed much difference.

The 3hr boil effect on this particular IPA was a sweetness discernibly different to that of standard dextrins and unfermentables.. maybe I ought to do my own side-by-side xbeeriment in preparation for the family Xmas BBQ, get my nan wasted.

I do sometimes, especially if I have had a stuck lauter/sparge and need to regain some mash efficiency. In this case I do an extra sparge and longer boil to remove the extra volume to recover some OG points.

Did a 3 hour boil on a IIPA I did with reiterative mash and the wife is always saying that was the best beer I have brewed. All beers now are compared to that one. Take from that what you will. It was delicious beer though.

Triumph Brewery does, 90min is a standard boil Porters and Big Beers are 180min+ and I ramp the boil, stir in the proteins (scum) big pitch is standard in an aerated wort, clean and sanitise like your life depended on it and to be honest I don't worry as much about temperatures as I used to but I use Nottingham 90% of the time and it seems very forgiving....

To add to my last input I batch sparge. Get the first mash run off (the heaviest wort) boiling past the hot break. Add batch sparges reboil past hot break, add sparge reboil etc.
When I get to maximum boiler volume I then start the timer for 90 minutes. I hit 83% Brew house efficiency on yesterdays brew. All in all its 2+ hours on the flame for the first runnings. 90 minute for the last runnings.
$0.02.