Does anyone boil for > 90min?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by mtb, 14/11/17 at 10:22 AM.

1. mtb

Beer Bod

Posted 14/11/17 at 10:22 AM
    My go-to boil length is 90min for any beer. Ensures no DMS in lighter pils-base beers, and I apply it to ales for the Maillard reactions / darker hues / sexy ruby tones / ease of adapting my Beersmith equipment profile. Such sexy, sexy ruby tones.

Then there was that one beer. The one I made that was incredible but I've never been able to reproduce. I had about 50 people sample it at a family gathering and it remains the one EVERYBODY asks whether I have more of. It only recently occurred to me recently, when brewing that fabled magical wort, I actually miscalculated at the time and added far too much sparge water so had to increase the boil length to three hours to compensate.

My question is - has anyone else noticed an improvement in a batch when extending the boil time? What style was it? Mine was an IPA. Every other aspect of that brew day was fairly vanilla.

NB: I am very aware of the exbeeriments on this topic undertaken by Brulosophy and choose not to consider them.

MHB likes this.
  2. 2cranky

Posted 14/11/17 at 10:58 AM
    Yes I’ve sampled many brulosophy topics and noticed no decernable difference to my attitude to their conclusions.

mtb, Charst and dent like this.
  3. manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler Moderating

Posted 14/11/17 at 10:59 AM
    Yes - if doing something like a wee heavy or doppelbock.
    3 hrs is my go to there.
    SMASH wee heavy or a touch of roast barley for that dry roast but no crystal - just uk pale. 3 hr boil, you’d swear there was crystal in there. Obviously volume is reduced and/or grain bill increased.

4. dent

Under Pressure

Posted 14/11/17 at 11:04 AM
    I often end up with 2+ hr boils as I am often pretty generous sparging into the kettle. I do notice after such a long boil the wort gets very bright with large snail size flocs without any help with finings. Apart from that I haven't noticed much difference.

5. mtb

Beer Bod

Posted 14/11/17 at 11:27 AM
    The 3hr boil effect on this particular IPA was a sweetness discernibly different to that of standard dextrins and unfermentables.. maybe I ought to do my own side-by-side xbeeriment in preparation for the family Xmas BBQ, get my nan wasted.

6. Lionman

Posted 14/11/17 at 12:51 PM
    I do sometimes, especially if I have had a stuck lauter/sparge and need to regain some mash efficiency. In this case I do an extra sparge and longer boil to remove the extra volume to recover some OG points.

Did a 3 hour boil on a IIPA I did with reiterative mash and the wife is always saying that was the best beer I have brewed. All beers now are compared to that one. Take from that what you will. It was delicious beer though.