Does Any Sell Glass Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
My old man cleaned out his shed on the weekend and threw away 100 of my grolsch bottles. Some of which i was cellaring. (I say shed, buts not really a shed).

As a result Wedge has not bottles. Does anyone sell long necks out there.

I don't know if there are any Brewcraft distributors down there, but they sell 640mL bottles by the dozen. They can be a bit pricey though, at about $15/dozen.

Edit: They might be a bit more than $15, actually. Dave in Sydney sells them for about $17/dozen.

My sympathies. I've got some spare but unless you're planning a road trip, it doesn't help you.

Cheers,

microbe

worst case you can buy some coopers PET longnecks.

theyre $12 for 15 and just about every coles or kmart ive been to sells them (along with plenty other places).

I used them for ages before i had a decent enough stock of glass bottles. dont really know why i retired them, just prefer glass, but i never had a single problem with them.

My old man cleaned out his shed on the weekend and threw away 100 of my grolsch bottles. Some of which i was cellaring. (I say shed, buts not really a shed).

How many were you after? I will have a look around work. We did have a heap of beer bottle style tirage bottles.Brown and green the glass is thicker than the normal beer bottle but still takes the normal crown seal and not the bigger tirage seal.

BYB

How many were you after? I will have a look around work. We did have a heap of beer bottle style tirage bottles.Brown and green the glass is thicker than the normal beer bottle but still takes the normal crown seal and not the bigger tirage seal.

BYB

I'm only using them for beers that i want to age or which i dont want on tap. ie a Stout. So probably want enough to store say 30 litres?

The bottle recycling place near where I live sells them for pretty cheap

Really? I rang a recycling place when I was just starting my bottle collection and they said
"no! no! couldn't possibly! legal reasons! you understand!".

So they were just making it up! :(

Doesn't matter now.

I could spare at least 12 longnecks and 24 stubbies of various styles if you want them.
You WILL have to clean them though. I am at Hallett Cove.

C&B
TDA

I have new 640ml crown seal bottles for $1 each ($28 per 28 bottles bought as a case) $1.95 for a case worth of crown seals or by themselves are $6.50 per hundred.

The recycling shop near the tower hotel do long neck crown seals, for about 17c a bottle.

Really? I rang a recycling place when I was just starting my bottle collection and they said
"no! no! couldn't possibly! legal reasons! you understand!".

So they were just making it up! :(

Doesn't matter now.

Yes it can be true. The local yard here is reluctant also. They can lose their licence for selling or giving back bottles to anyone. The bottles remain the property of the brewery. That being said it probally depends on how well you know the owner of the yard ;)

BYB

A mate of mine has been getting a collection of 750 ml bottles by ringing a local Wedding reception centre. He rang, told him that he wanted them for home brewing and they leave them out for him to collect on the Monday following their weekend activities. Guess they are just going to be put in a recycle truck anyway, so the boot of his car works just as well. i'd say he's picked up about 100 bottles over 3 weeks....

in victoria, if that makes a difference

Yes it can be true. The local yard here is reluctant also. They can lose their licence for selling or giving back bottles to anyone. The bottles remain the property of the brewery. That being said it probally depends on how well you know the owner of the yard.

well.....
Along time ago, before the terrible and lazy concept of recycling was foisted apon us by the running dog lackeys of the imperial capitalist dictators of our economy we had a concept called .."Re-Use", thus a soapbox for example could be made into anything from a billy-cart to a makeshift stage for great oration.
Beer bottles (all bottles) were no where near as disposable (sorry running dog green's..recyclable) as they are today and far more expensive, it made good economic sense to not only maintain ownership of the bottle but to pay agents (bottolo's) to collect and collectively ship back.
Years went by, bottles got cheaper, or did they, well not according to the new class of bottle owners, a subsidary of a well known brewing company...you see, because only the contents were sold, and not the bottle (which remained property of..."XYZ" ) no taxes were payable on the container or bottle content of the beer, a cent a bottle perhaps...any idea how many dollars a day that is.....lots....
The ATO got wise, the pie chumpers gave in and the rest is history

K

Yes it can be true. The local yard here is reluctant also. They can lose their licence for selling or giving back bottles to anyone. The bottles remain the property of the brewery. That being said it probally depends on how well you know the owner of the yard ;)

BYB

Wow... the place near my house stashes them in a separate place for selling to people. I remember that it's pretty cheap, too

Lucky bloody South Australians with your coopers long necks and recycling centers.

Lucky bloody South Australians with your coopers long necks and recycling centers.

The coopers long necks, that bring me to the next question. Coopers improved the strength of their longnecks, apparantly aiming it at the homebrewer. So I wonder whether they would have a problem if the yards sold them back to brewers?

BYB

... and I was led to believe that South Australia was a "backwater". ;)
Wally
For us South Australians who live in the eastern suburbs (or folks who don't mind the drive) you can get your long necks for just $3 per dozen here:
Magill Bottle Recyclers
Magill Recycling & Salvage
8 Nightingale Avenue, Magill
Mon - Fri 7.30 am - 5 pm
Sat 8 am - 1 pm and Sun 9 am - 1 pm

Thats really interesting about the ownership, so is that what "5c refund at collection depots in SA" is about?

I have some bottles in my collection that were dug up from a "bottle dump" in the bush out the back of my in-laws place. Awesome quality, really thick glass on them. They cleaned up well after a soak and I have put them into circulation again. Most have a date stamp on the bottom & 1945 is the oldest. The glass itself is stamped with "property of ____ bottle company"

I was unable to locate ___ bottle company in the phone book to return their property :(

Back