Dodgy STC 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 STC's working at home, one died a while back and I replaced it with an Inkbird 308. I'll never bother with the STC's again, I did wire all mine myself and being completely colour blind does make it a challenge for me.
I'm keen to look at the ink bird,I have to wire up a kegerator within the next week or so...

Yep, I think so, in fact I suspect not dying "yet" is mostly a matter of luck
Hmmm don't won't that!! What other alternative should I use? I have shrink wrap here and a good soldering iron...should I go down the route?

Common Neutral.
Common Earth.
Switch the active through the relays.

The diagram in this thread (1st post) is the best I've ever seen. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/thread...ad-want-to-make-sure-i-understand-this.88564/

Use terminal blocks for 240V for Gods sake or you could end-up frying yourself. If you're even remotely unsure, get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you in exchange for a couple of beers.

The actual wires seem to be in the right place, BUT, the earth is significantly sub standard, there are 4 connectors you didn't need in there and they are incorrectly sized for the cable. Your fault could be anywhere, possibly from a poor connection somewhere.
Get some grey terminal strip, and some 413s and have another go. Will try to give you a picture when I get home.

The actual wires seem to be in the right place, BUT, the earth is significantly sub standard, there are 4 connectors you didn't need in there and they are incorrectly sized for the cable. Your fault could be anywhere, possibly from a poor connection somewhere.
Get some grey terminal strip, and some 413s and have another go. Will try to give you a picture when I get home.
Looking forward to your pic mate cheers

I've done a continuity test on all lines and everything is connected :hairout:

I'm still thinking it's all the flux and chicken piss on the mainboard

Firearms, explosives & skydiving are amongst the things one shouldn't "play" with if inexperienced.

I've done heaps of those other things, but wouldn't **** with 240V in a pink fit.

Go with the plug & play option & keep yourself alive (for however long "yet" lasts for you if you otherwise persist.....).

Inline crimps are 240v rated but yeah I'd use connectors or terminal strip.

Wiring looks like it'll work, wouldn't put my name on it but it should work. Try disconnecting both conductors from the cooling terminals, put them in a connector to make safe. Check with a multi meter if you have continuity across the terminals when the stc is on cool. Repeat for the heat side.

Firearms, explosives & skydiving are amongst the things one shouldn't "play" with if inexperienced.

I've done heaps of those other things, but wouldn't **** with 240V in a pink fit.

Go with the plug & play option & keep yourself alive (for however long "yet" lasts for you if you otherwise persist.....).
Wise words spoken there mate!

Inline crimps are 240v rated but yeah I'd use connectors or terminal strip.

Wiring looks like it'll work, wouldn't put my name on it but it should work. Try disconnecting both conductors from the cooling terminals, put them in a connector to make safe. Check with a multi meter if you have continuity across the terminals when the stc is on cool. Repeat for the heat side.
ill have a look at the terminal strips mate cheers. I've checked continuity across all lines mate they are all connected.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this day to put my brew down....whaaaa why me?? I've even got brand new mugs ready for my miss & I :fallingoffchair:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    950.9 KB · Views: 62
I've got my

ill have a look at the terminal strips mate cheers. I've checked continuity across all lines mate they are all connected.
That's not what I was asking. My question was is the internal relay closing. If you can't unwire it put the leads of the multi metre into the active and neutral terminal of the cool plug and check voltage and report back here

That's not what I was asking. My question was is the internal relay closing. If you can't unwire it put the leads of the multi metre into the active and neutral terminal of the cool plug and check voltage and report back here
Relays are working as far as I know mate, I here the clicks of the relays switching from temp changes hot & cold I then check voltages on the outlet terminals to see if I have current and still nothing :question:

Still thinking the chicken piss! Has anyone else had this issue with a brand new STC 1000? Or am I the most unluckiest ******* in history?? My mates always say my name should of been Murphy though :fallingoffchair:

mate as has been said a few time. if you don't know what your doing or looking for stop now.
240V doesn't play around i know of a lot of people that got zapped and walked away with minor damage but i also know people that were seriously hurt with it.
ask for someone with knowledge to come and check it for you rather that keep testing it hoping to strike it lucky.

mate as has been said a few time. if you don't know what your doing or looking for stop now.
240V doesn't play around i know of a lot of people that got zapped and walked away with minor damage but i also know people that were seriously hurt with it.
ask for someone with knowledge to come and check it for you rather that keep testing it hoping to strike it lucky.
Im hearing you mate,you are right 240Vac is nothing to play with and should always be left to electricians that have a ticket in this area. My background is only DC power and mainboard repair so I am hesitant to check the main rails on this board to find the problem....That said should I have to? The supplier should cover a replacement if this board is defective right? I mean look at the puss on this board! I would never send out a board in this condition back to my customers! I'd at least ultrasonic clean it!! Lol

One more silly question (I went and got my glasses, the wiring looks OK sorry)
What is the set temperature? It could be working perfectly just be under the set point so not turning on.
Offer stands, one the same as yours sitting here if you need it.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back