Dodgy email supposedly from CraftBrewer - beware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Got this in my Spam Folder today (Yahoo). I posted images only, I haven't clicked any of the links of course.

cb spam 1.jpg

cb spam 2.jpg

They got my first name right, which could be a coincidence, but they know that I'm a brewer.

Note: their URL isn't Craftbrewer
Grammar mistake, small i
CraftBrewer wouldn't direct you to EBay
further down, a URL that resembles Craftbrewer - Craft space Brewer.com.au

Anyone else getting these? Is CB hacked or is it Yahoo the trustworthy and secure system. hahahahaha. If so goodbye Yahoo, I'll transfer everything to a second Gmail account.
Just putting it out there, I've phoned Anthony urgently.

Doesn't look to me like it's hacked Ross' business - no logo or anything, signed brew direct.

Craft Brewer sounds pretty generic - my guess if you've bought a product online and supplied your email.

I get dodgy emails from Paypal all the time. I always hover over any links and check the sender's address. Then block and report. Scammers everywhere.

Likewise the paypals, I get about two per day. However Anthony did say he'd had similar emails forwarded to him by customers who had received.
DU99 did they get your first name right? That and your interest in home brew would nail it. I'd guess the ebay links are malware.

Or as manticle suggested were you also in the market for wingtip dress brogues, organic seeds or a khaki blazer recently as well?

I am still waiting for the Nigerian $1 million...bastards are taking there time

Ducatiboy stu said:
Thats why I have never used it
The scams don't have anything to do with whether you use paypal or not.
I get email scam shit all the time from anz bank (no account with them) facebook (don't use it) and Nigeria (never been there, don't know Mr Hajib de norobo ko or why he wants to give me 50 million pounds stirling).

It's just phishing.

Most of the time it's not paypal that leaks the customer info, but one of the retailers that you used your paypal account with. They often collect data to build their own marketing databases and either sell them, rent access to them or have them stolen.

I've been receiving various spam that uses details from a number of online sellers, including Farnell and Country Brewer. They have clearly been hacked years ago and their customer databases have been stolen. It's not uncommon. You can guarantee that most online businesses are targeted for this all the time. Part of their operating cost should be maintaining all their software and have a proactive security policy. Most business don't. Some chose to deal with security issues after a breach, many don't give a toss at all. Using off-the shelf solutions and not keeping the installation up to date is asking for it. Same as running an unpatched Windows machine directly connected to the Internet.

I got the same email sent to my Hotmail account.
once i saw "bit" in the address, delete.
I get Paypal like emails from this mob all the time.
I send them all to Paypal fake emails, they just keep coming.

Bribie G said:
Got this in my Spam Folder today (Yahoo). I posted images only, I haven't clicked any of the links of course.

attachicon.gif
cb spam 1.jpg

attachicon.gif
cb spam 2.jpg

They got my first name right, which could be a coincidence, but they know that I'm a brewer.

Note: their URL isn't Craftbrewer
Grammar mistake, small i
CraftBrewer wouldn't direct you to EBay
further down, a URL that resembles Craftbrewer - Craft space Brewer.com.au

Anyone else getting these? Is CB hacked or is it Yahoo the trustworthy and secure system. hahahahaha. If so goodbye Yahoo, I'll transfer everything to a second Gmail account.
Just putting it out there, I've phoned Anthony urgently.
I got one too. Doesn't look legit but could catch the unsuspecting

A lot of people dont realise you can spoof emails addressing, headers and links, Unless you know what your looking for, which most dont, you will get caught

I always inspect every element of a dodgy email to see where the linkls truly point

Its intersesting, I get emails from Auspost ( scams ) which are pretty good, except they getting the simple stuff wrong like a tracking number sequence, or contact number.

But the guys are getting pretty good these days

The latest Aust post email I got gave me over 700 days to pick up my parcel before they returned it to sender. Very generous I thought. :ph34r:

I just got this one yesterday. Hovered over the link, but nothing showed up in the task bar. The sender got my email correct, but a generic salutation.

Spam_email.jpg

Got one too. Deleted as soon as I took a cursory glance at it, as it was obviously a scam email.

Get them all the time from Paypal, ANZ and others.
Have not banked with ANZ for over 40 years, but I'm impressed with their historic archival customer record keeping.
The bulk of these emails have clearly recognisable spelling and grammatical errors in their text, chenglish or woglish stands out like the proverbial.

if you get away from yahoo, you will definitely reduce your spam emails considerably..

google/gmail has one of the best spam filters and happily trashes all those kind of emails for me 99% of the time

I use my gmail account as my primary, but it also 'pulls' emails from my yahoo account so I only have to check one place.

Latest posts

Back