Quantcast

Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
1st in the Specialty and Fruit beers category in the NSW State Champs Oct 2004.
Recipe is based on Denny Conn's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter.
I will be brewing this again in the future but will probably cut back a little on the bourbon next time.
Without the bourbon and the vanilla this is still a very nice smoooth Imperial Porter.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A Porter, Robust Porter

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 59 Max Clr: 177 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.60 Wort Size (L): 23.60
Total Grain (kg): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.087 Plato: 20.97
Anticipated EBC: 60.3
Anticipated IBU: 40.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.76 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.074 SG 18.02 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.9 5.75 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
9.1 0.80 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 200
14.1 1.25 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 20
9.1 0.80 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 56
2.8 0.25 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
27.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.20 38.7 60 min.
18.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.00 1.7 10 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.15 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 8.85
Water Qts: 24.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 23.18 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.62 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60


Total Mash Volume L: 29.10 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Notes
-----

After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla.

I left the beer in secondary for 21 days. Kegged from secondary with 10 ml. per pint of Wild Turkey.

Awards
------

1st Specialty & Fruit Beers category. NSW State Championships Oct. 2004
 
J

Jovial_Monk

Guest
Hmmmmm Imperial Porters were called Stout Porters not that long ago. . .


JM
 

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Joined
7/8/03
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
8
My intention was to clone this beer which I tasted and considered extremely good :chug:

I brewed it with Crispy on 29th of December and on consensus we decided to leave out the Vanilla or Bourbon. There is enough happening with all that malt.

I bottled the Imperial Big Arse Porter tonight and it has gone from 1080 to 1013 so by BeerSmith calcs that makes it 8.8%. :lol:

During bottling I had a few samples and cripes it is tasting really good IMHO ;)

Anyway thanks Doc for the inspiration even though I didn't quite follow your original recipe :eek:

Here is our recipe for the IBAP!!

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/12/2004
Batch Size: 25.70 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 34.00 L Asst Brewer: Chris
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.16 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 65.0 %
1.34 kg JWM Light Munich (19.7 EBC) Grain 14.1 %
0.86 kg JWM Caramalt (55.2 EBC) Grain 9.0 %
0.86 kg TF Amber Malt (100.5 EBC) Grain 9.0 %
0.27 kg JWM Chocolate Malt (750.6 EBC) Grain 2.8 %
32.00 gm Target [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.60%] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs British Cask Ale (Wyeast Labs #1026) Yeast-Ale



Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.8 %
Bitterness: 39.3 IBU Calories: 768 cal/l
Est Color: 51.8 EBC Color: Color


C&B
TDA
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
I'm sure it will be a great beer TDA.
I tasted mine before I added the vanilla when racking and it was awesome.
I just had to add the bourbon to mine. I'd talked it up so had to go through with it. I wasn't dissappointed :D
Look sampling your derivative.

Beers,
Doc
 

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Joined
8/6/04
Messages
2,040
Reaction score
6
I tried something along those lines one day with a Stout Fresh Wort kit. Added 5L of water, and steeped 250gms of chocolate malt into it. Added vanilla when racking then split 6 bottles with Wild Turkey, 6 with Jack Daniels, 6 with Jim Beam Bonded, and 6 with Bundaberg Black Rum.

Outcome was a great drop. The bourbon types were great, and I'm sure all the rum drinkers out there know that rum and chocolate milk go very well together :p Will definately do an AG version soon, tried a bottle of my first AG porter over the weekend and was quite happy with the result, just a bit too much roast barley. Will compensate next batch.

Cheers
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
Doc said:
1st in the Specialty and Fruit beers category in the NSW State Champs Oct 2004.
Recipe is based on Denny Conn's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter.
I will be brewing this again in the future but will probably cut back a little on the bourbon next time.
Without the bourbon and the vanilla this is still a very nice smoooth Imperial Porter.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A Porter, Robust Porter

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 59 Max Clr: 177 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.60 Wort Size (L): 23.60
Total Grain (kg): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.087 Plato: 20.97
Anticipated EBC: 60.3
Anticipated IBU: 40.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.76 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.074 SG 18.02 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.9 5.75 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
9.1 0.80 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 200
14.1 1.25 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 20
9.1 0.80 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 56
2.8 0.25 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
27.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.20 38.7 60 min.
18.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.00 1.7 10 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.15 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 8.85
Water Qts: 24.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 23.18 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.62 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60


Total Mash Volume L: 29.10 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Notes
-----

After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla.

I left the beer in secondary for 21 days. Kegged from secondary with 10 ml. per pint of Wild Turkey.

Awards
------

1st Specialty & Fruit Beers category. NSW State Championships Oct. 2004
[post="32249"][/post]​

I found a bottle of this in my shed last night that I put in the fridge. The bottle was minus the bourbon, as the bourbon got added when I kegged it.
Obviously the beer is getting old, but my it was smooth and a very nice Porter. Very very drinkable.
So if you are looking for a very good strong Porter, this one will do it.

Beers,
Doc
 

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Joined
7/8/03
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
8
I still have 3 big bottles left of the one we brewed last year and it absolutely hums!!! :beerbang:

C&B
TDA
 

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Joined
12/10/04
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
26
I'm looking at having a crack at copy of this with a few modifications, being my first dark beer it should be interesting... hows it looking below?


ALSO I was planning on mashing all the grains together but I was told that maybe I should only mash the base malt and then wack the coloured grains in for the last 10-20 mins? What's the proceedure with porters/stouts and the coloured dark grains?

Cheers :beer:



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Vanilla Xmas Porter
Brewer: sluggerdog
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0) After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 61.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9Grain 46.2 %
3.00 kg Pilsner (Powells) (3.0 EBC) Grain 46.2 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (800.0 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
0.15 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (230.0 EBC) Grain 2.3 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1400.0 EBC) Grain 1.5 %
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.60%] (10 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
2.00 items Vanilla (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 12Yeast-Ale
 

berapnopod

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/1/05
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
Doc and TDA,
I am curious to know what ferment temps you used.

Also, the anticipated colour was 50-60EBC. How did it look to you? I'm guessing more of a dark brown than black?

Berp.
 

Scotty

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/10/04
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
I did a partial version of Doc's Porter, it actually turned out to be an old ale, it was,

Rapid Creek Old Ale
500g Vienna Grain
150g Black grain
Vanilla Essance
Top Shelf Kentucky Bourbon Essence
1kg dextrose

Turned out great and if your not up to all grain yet it is a good option.

Scotty
 

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Joined
7/8/03
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
8
berapnopod said:
Doc and TDA,
I am curious to know what ferment temps you used.

Also, the anticipated colour was 50-60EBC. How did it look to you? I'm guessing more of a dark brown than black?

Berp.
[post="89801"][/post]​
berapnopod, it was fermented at 22C which is the recommended upper limit for the Wyeast 1026. Colour was 52 EBC and it is closer to black than dark brown.

Hope that is some help.

C&B
TDA
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
Mine would have been fermented at around 18-20 degC.
The colour was quite dark but still opaque.

Beers
Doc
 

Trent

Well-Known Member
Joined
16/6/04
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
2
Sluggerdog
Ya could proibably leave the dark grains out till the last 10 or 20 mins if ya really wanted to, but I make a porter as my house brew, and I always add all the grains for the full mash. I think you dont have too much dark grains in there, so I would put em in for the whole mash, get a little more of the choc/coffee flavours going, but thats just my opinion. I dont use black patent in mine, but always use 600g dark chocolate, and I have never found it to be astringent or anything, if that is what you were worried about. Recipe looks good to me, but, should be a nice beer.
Maybe if you have really low water pH that is why you were told to leave the grains till late? From memory, dark grains can lower the pH of the mash.
All the best
Trent
 

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Joined
12/10/04
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
26
sluggerdog said:
I'm looking at having a crack at copy of this with a few modifications, being my first dark beer it should be interesting... hows it looking below?


ALSO I was planning on mashing all the grains together but I was told that maybe I should only mash the base malt and then wack the coloured grains in for the last 10-20 mins? What's the proceedure with porters/stouts and the coloured dark grains?

Cheers :beer:



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Vanilla Xmas Porter
Brewer: sluggerdog
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0) After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 61.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9Grain 46.2 %
3.00 kg Pilsner (Powells) (3.0 EBC) Grain 46.2 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (800.0 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
0.15 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (230.0 EBC) Grain 2.3 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1400.0 EBC) Grain 1.5 %
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.60%] (10 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
2.00 items Vanilla (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 12Yeast-Ale
[post="89767"][/post]​

Kegged this today so I thought it's time for taste. Came out a cracker, very light on the coloured grains (taste wise) but just what I was wanting... cheers for the help.

xmas_porter.jpg
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
Excellent Slugger.
However your recipe seems to be missing some Bourbon :lol:

Doc
 

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Joined
12/3/04
Messages
4,149
Reaction score
306
That looks yummy Slugger, did you dd the Bourbon????

Andrew
 

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Joined
12/10/04
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
26
AndrewQLD said:
That looks yummy Slugger, did you dd the Bourbon????

Andrew
[post="95182"][/post]​

Nope, no added borbon. I will bring a bottle tomorrow for you to try.

cheers
 

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Joined
20/12/02
Messages
2,349
Reaction score
152
Well I tried Slugger's porter at Ross's brew day and I gotta say it is a superb beer. The blend of roasty-chocolate malts, with the crystal sweetness and the vanilla flavour worked perfectly. This is one nice beer. The only improvement I could suggest is to up the roast malt a tad, and mash about a degree or 2 higher to improve the body. I reckon Doc's imperial version would be a cracker. I'd be keen to try the bnourbon version too!

Cheers - Snow.
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
Doc,

Just put a vanilla mocha porter (alc 8.2%) into secondary - haven't got any bourbon, but was toying wwith adding some vsop brandy in similar quantity's. How does anyone reckon this would go? Otherwise I've got some Jack Daniels I could add...

cheers Ross
 

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Joined
12/3/04
Messages
4,149
Reaction score
306
Ross said:
Doc,

Just put a vanilla mocha porter (alc 8.2%) into secondary - haven't got any bourbon, but was toying wwith adding some vsop brandy in similar quantity's. How does anyone reckon this would go? Otherwise I've got some Jack Daniels I could add...

cheers Ross
[post="110153"][/post]​
I think the Brandy would be very nice Ross, JD might be a bit much with its sour mash flavour.

Cheers
Andrew
 

Latest posts

Top