Doc's Hopback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I built myself a hopback.
Todays brewday was the first use of it and it worked flawlessly.

It is basically a "Randall the Enamel Animal" turned into a hopback.

Take one 10" water filter housing, a 50 litre keg dip tube, a couple of cutoffs from some PVC pipe, a couple of barb fittings and you are done.

Here is a piccy of the dip tube.
Hopback_014.jpg

The diptube in place and a piccy of the inside of the lid.
Hopback_015.jpg

And here it is in action. Today's brew was an Hourglass IPA which already has a shitload of hops in it with 5 minute hop additions from 30-5mins.
In the hop back was about 100gr of Cascade flowers.
Hopback_010.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Here it is after all the wort had passed through it.
With the HourglassIPA brew you end up with a log of hop sludge and you can see it entered the hopback before I stoped the pump.
Hopback_012.jpg

And another pic of it in line with the pump, cfwc and inline aerator.
Hopback_008.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Yeah looks like a really good set up.

You will have to let us know if the results are good.

good to see the randalised pics doc.now all we need is to hear how the beer turned out. :rolleyes:

cheers
big d

sosman said:
How does the filter stand up to the hot wort?
[post="64020"][/post]​

I was worried about it sosman.
I boiled up the jug and filled up the hopback. Left it in there for 10mins and did a taste test with a control. All was good. I shouldn't think the hot wort should be any different and the contact time would be less too.

And the pics of the unit (without hops) were taken after brewday, so all held up well.

Beers,
Doc

Top stuff Doc, looks like it worked a treat.
Still have plans for my Stainless Steel one but like everything else it gets put on the back-burner

Hoops

Doc how does the wort get out, are there holes in the diptube?.....

ozbrewer said:
Doc how does the wort get out, are there holes in the diptube?.....
[post="64056"][/post]​

Yep. About a dozen smallish holes in the bottom of the dip tube.

Beers,
Doc

Great to see real innovation better get your patent on it Doc it looks a winner for the Craft brewer .Nice to have the clear plastic housing to see whats going on .

Pumpy

Doc how do you attach your 2 micron SS diffuser stone I can see the line going from aquarium pump to the air filter then to the SS fitting ,did you have to modify a fitting .?

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
Doc how do you attach your 2 micron SS diffuser stone I can see the line going from aquarium pump to the air filter then to the SS fitting ,did you have to modify a fitting .?

Pumpy
[post="64087"][/post]​

Nope. I bought the MoreBeer SS Aeration stone with 1/2" MPT fitting. See here

Beers,
Doc

I have mine mounted this way

Wort comes in the top from the CCFC then is airated and passes to the fermenter

It works so well that I have to turn the air pump off at times as the wort foams to much and would overflow the 30 lt fermenter.

I bought the stone from 'more beer' like Doc , other bits easly to obtain here

Batz

Drinking the Hourglass IPA I brewed using the hopback tonight.
A slightly more noticable aroma than what I remember from brewing the same beer without the hopback.
No off tastes from the plastic and assembly, the same as my pre-brew tests.
I think next time I'll try to cram more hops in it though to see how much more aroma I can extract.

Beers,
Doc

This is off the main topic of the thread but...

anyone know when the term Hopback got applied to this sort of device? A hopback in a traditional English brewery is a large vessel similar to a mash tun or lauter tun, for separating the (whole) hops from the wort. Any additional hops added to it are incidental to it's main purpose as a false bottomed separating vessel.

Here's the hop back at LCB

50lb of Cascade in there

Batz

Sean said:
A hopback in a traditional English brewery is a large vessel similar to a mash tun or lauter tun, for separating the (whole) hops from the wort.
[post="67923"][/post]​

Is it not a device for separating whole hops from the wort???? therefore a Hopback??

Back