Doc's European Holiday 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
My wife and I got back from Europe at the weekend.
The two of us have been married for 10 years so figured it was a good time to take a break, farm out the kids and go and have some fun in the playground of our youth.

When planning the trip we decided to split it into three. A little reminiscing and relaxation, beer and champagne (my wife is into champagne as I'm into beer).
So we started the trip in Greece where we got to together in the Greek Islands, then onto Belgium for beer and finally France for champagne.

This topic will cover just the beery stuff.

First stop was Athens, where we had a few hours to kill before heading out to Mykonos.
We did a quick lap of the Acropolis to refresh our memories, then found a place to hook into lunch and a few refreshing beverages.

As it was a typical stinking hot end of summer day I wasn't too worried about the beer selection, just some shade and something to wet the palate.
Chose a place sat down, and ordered.
Within 10 seconds this turned up. Beer delivery for my table :p

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_097__Large_.jpg

So first beer down had to be Greek. The equiv of a Carlton Draught/VB/New basically. Like a lawnmower beer it hit the spot.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_098__Large_.jpg

Noticed they had the Red version too. So gave that a crack. Wasn't too bad. Bascially I think it just had a little caramel added in the bottling line, but I was happy :p

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_100__Large_.jpg

Doc

After getting out to the dodgy port of Rafina and on to the hydrofoil (a choice made after previous experiences on the big old slow clunker ferries), it was time to checkout what was on offer.

Amstel or Heineken over Mythos. So the Amstel got picked as well as some nibbles.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_118__Large_.jpg

The ferry.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_132__Large_.jpg

Doc

Another key decision when planning was that we were going to do the trip in style, rather than the cheap methods involved 13 years previously.
Even though this shot isn't of beer (it is the welcoming champers) it will give you the idea.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_152__Large_.jpg

That is the very from our hotel pool overlooking Mykonos.

Doc

So as far as beer in concerned, Mykonos is a bit of a beer wasteland. But that wasn't the reason we were there.
But at about 1 Euro for 500ml (from the supermarket) who's complaining :p

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_174__Large_.jpg

At least my wife had a few more choices.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_180__Large_.jpg

Love being able to get beer at and on the beach.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_212__Large_.jpg

From the balcony of our studio. Yes I know Heineken, but hey.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_228__Large_.jpg

Empties around town show the choices.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_337__Large_.jpg

And then I found the delivery truck

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_471__Large_.jpg

and then the distribution warehouse

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_497__Large_.jpg

Doc

On to Santorini.

The Aussie bar that I stumbled upon (but didn't go into). They even had a notice up saying they were replaying the AFL semis.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_539__Large_.jpg

Gyro matched with Greek beer on one of the neighbouring islands (after we climbed the volcano).
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_674__Large_.jpg

Whilst exploring downtown Fira I found the "Beer bar". Was closed during the day, so never made it there, but did realise that there was a brewery called Craft Beer that had beer available in Santorini. Haven't gone back to hunt for their location, but I think they are on the mainland somewhere.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_754__Large_.jpg

Craft Beer sign.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_756__Large_.jpg

Our second Santorini Sunset. I'd found another little supermaket with again the cheap mainstream lagers.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_786__Large_.jpg

Santorini Sunset 2
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_814__Large_.jpg

Craft Beer Pilsener and another sunset. The Pilsener wasn't too bad. I'd also already had the Weizen by this stage. The Weizen was pretty good.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1088__Large_.jpg

Craft Beer Schwarzbier and another Gyro. The Schwarz was the pick of the three I got to try (Pils, Weizen and Schwarz). Ended up having a few of the Schwarz when I found them.
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1177__Large_.jpg

Doc

On to Belgium.
First stop was Brussels, and a quick walk into the mail square.
250 Beers was the first place I found. Not to bad a selection. Much better after Greece, and of course now it was ALL ABOUT THE BEER :p

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1200__Large_.jpg

The Brewers House in the main square.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1217__Large_.jpg

They even have their own street.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1222__Large_.jpg

Tip
If you are going to Brussels and want to go to Cantillon then download this suggested walking guide to get to the brewery. It gives you some good history on the city.

Doc

So using the Walking guide mentioned above we made our way through Brussels to Cantillon.
Stopped for lunch along the way and I had a bottle of Saison Du Pont. It was fresh and awesome. I feel some Saison brewing coming up in my near future.

Cantillon was great. Arrived at the end of a big tour finishing up so got a Gueze right off the bat, and so did my wife. As she didn't like it (remember she is the Champagne girl), of course I got two. This worked well a lot in Belgium :p

So here are a few shots around Cantillon.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1244__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1250__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1253__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1254__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1262__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1263__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1266__Large_.jpg

And a few more.

Basically I tried the range that was available for tasting. Even the Faro which was my first taste of Faro, and it was better than I expected.

Bought a bottle of the Rose de Gambrinus for takeaway.

Doc

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1271__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1277__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1278__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1280__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1289__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1290__Large_.jpg

Doc, takes me back to my youth, bummed around Greece as a hippie and slept on the beaches at Santorini (east side where the black lava sands are). I notice in your first photo a Alpha beer glass. That was actually my pick of beers, I suppose they don't make it any more and the glass is probably an oldie they still had at the bar there. The other great beer was Fix although a little sweetish, but that's gone by the wayside as well I believe. In Crete there was a Henninger brewery - not bad German style light pils brew.

Keep em coming !!!

For dinner it was off to Restobiers.
This is a cool little restaurant all about the beer (important to note if you don't drink beer (ie. Champagne)).

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1291__Large_.jpg

The food menu is all in French and Dutch, so your language skills need to be up there a little. One of the waitresses spoke some English which was great.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1293__Large_.jpg

The beer and food menu was pretty good.
Dinner was fantastic. I enjoyed it a lot.
The decor is a little kitch, with collections of items like coffee grinders etc decorating the walls.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1296__Large_.jpg

I was also going for beers that were either particular to a place, or ones I hadn't seen back here.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1298__Large_.jpg

Doc

Attachments

• European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1295__Large_.jpg
    European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1295__Large_.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
Looks awsome! I went to both of these citys about a year and a half ago. I did not know about the walking guide Brussels to Cantillon. So i did not go there. :( but good to know for next time. Infact i did stuff all in brussels! wish i had seen more!

Welcome back Doc, Looks like you had a great time. Those sunsets where awesome.

Cantillon right off the bat! Lurvely... looking forward to tracking progress and becoming increasingly jealous.

Welcome back Doc, looks fantastic especially with all the shite weather here in Perth??? Summer fun where art thou??

Next it was off to Brugges for the day.

Brewery de Halve Maan was one of the places I wanted to hit up.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1325__Large_.jpg
European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1326__Large_.jpg

Whilst waiting for the tour it was time for a bit and a beer.
Wanted to try a fresh Duvel.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1333__Large_.jpg

The brewery tour was really good as it was also a brewery museum showing a lot of the older now disused equipment even though it is still a functioning brewery.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1334__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1352__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1371__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1374__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1368__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1382__Large_.jpg

And of course the post tour beers.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1396__Large_.jpg

My wife actually liked a sip of this one, so I didn't get two full ones :p

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1398__Large_.jpg

Doc

Doc, takes me back to my youth, bummed around Greece as a hippie and slept on the beaches at Santorini

Wouldn't risk that among the Pusti's on Mykonos eh Bribie :lol:

Great pics Doc, did you try some of the Cafeneo's or Ouzaria'a in out of the way places, not normally frequented by tourist malaka's ?

Screwy

After doing more sightseeing around Brugges (including the chocolate shops for my wife; there are over 50 chocolatiers in Brugges), it was time to hit some more of the beer spots as the majority of the day trippers were heading out.

Bier Tempel for some souvenirs

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1503__Large_.jpg

Cambrinus for a few beers. They only have about 400 to choose from.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1504__Large_.jpg

Decisions decisions

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1505__Large_.jpg

This will do for a start.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1506__Large_.jpg

Kir Kreik Royale for my wife. A beer combo she enjoyed.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1508__Large_.jpg

Some great decor.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1511__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1514__Large_.jpg

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1515__Large_.jpg

Doc

Then figured I knew the NZ version, so should try the Belgian version

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1513__Large_.jpg

Next on the hit list 't Brugges Beertje.

A quaint little old bar with an interesting beer decor, and a good small selection of beers.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1524__Large_.jpg

Tought decisions again. Start with a Flanders Brown. I'm in Flanders I figure.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1525__Large_.jpg

It is pretty good.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1526__Large_.jpg

Bar shot.

European_Holiday_Sept_2009_1527__Large_.jpg

Only downside was all the smokers. You can still smoke in the bars in Belgium.

Doc

Back