Do you use a VPN?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
If you do, which one, how much and the pro's and con's?

I'm using Express VPN. It was at the top of the ratings. I really don't know why other than I want my computer to work better and faster hopefully because I cant be spied on and probed and analyzed and sized up by marketing bot tech etc.
Not sure if its benefiting me or not. I know Netfilx wont work if its turned on.

Yep. Nord VPN. Top scores for anonymity, but not particularly fast. Paid around $110 for 2 years access.

I considered it briefly about 10yrs ago when I was living in China. They block Farcebook, YouTube, etc, and occasionally I was getting problems accessing yahoo mail and hotmail. Never dived in though. And back in Aus now I don't feel the need.
Does it help with security and speeds?

I'm just looking into it to access U.S Netflix and so-on..

Re- I have to turn the VPN off for netflix to work. That's a little annoying actually. I was worried about it effecting anything so that's one con so far. Interesting to see what happens when I try to log on to the ATO portal to do my tax. That's a bitch to log in every time anyhow. I'm expecting it wont work if the VPN is on which defeats its purpose?, but I'll see next time. I'll try to report.
I think of VPN as like a psychological band aid really. For travelers on an ever increasing lane/speed highway were every minute you pass is like leaving your house unlocked to the quantity of people you have passed in that time traveled. Give them the opportunity to enter?
The days of leaving your house unlocked is over. Lock your house or leave it open for the low life scumbags
but big brother still has access I would presume.
:question:

My wife uses Express VPN to watch US Netflix. She paid the subscription. The US Netflix is not that much better than the Astralian one.

I know of people that use Private Internet Access, start the program when they are about to click the magnet link and then switch off when files have completed.

The program is cheap, easy to set up.

It doesn't work with Netflix, but the way i see it is that anything decent on Netflix has 100's of equivalent torrents online.

I use Nordvpn, it was a good price at the time with no logs and can watch american Netflix. Nordvpn has some dedicated servers in America you can use to watch it.

Private Internet Access (PIA) $40USD/ 12 months = $55 AUD

Pro's:
- Super easy to use
- Multi-device capability so it runs my phone, iPad, laptop and MacBook.
- Heaps of servers to choose from.
- Speed. I don't know how this works but I find the servers to DL things are actually quicker than how I use to DL without a VPN and through domestic servers, before the meta data laws came into effect. (Im still new to it all so perhaps overlooked something somewhere)
- PIA don't keep traffic logs. Some do which I think defeats the purpose of using a VPN.
- There is a kill switch feature in the settings so if you drop from the server its doesn't reconnect through your domestic server. I only use this on my torrenting computer.

Cons
- Browsing on my phone is slower.
- Certain apps with location enabled sometimes struggle so I turn off the VPN
- Google switches into the native language of the server (Easily fixed)

Tip. Don't use servers in the Five Eyes countries (UK, USA, NZ, CAN, AUS) when torrenting.

I can tell you if you go to Main Land China SSL vpns wont work. ipsec ones will because it can be filtered. The GFW of China causes the good SSL ones to drop due to packet snooping. Unless the provider is "approved" by the state.

hmm this guy reckons Nord too but i am not sold.
had this issue about nine months ago, situation may have changed but i am not convinced.

Last edited:
I'm just looking into it to access U.S Netflix and so-on..

Why? Apparently the US based viewer using my account (according to the Netflix lady, accounts are regularly hacked then sold on the spooky dark web for as little as $1) was quite happy with the program options.

I appreciate all the replies, it's looking a little too hard basket for me..

A year or so ago I used a trial version of Unblock-US to access US Netflix. TBH, there was a shitload of content but very little I was interested in. Found it was easier to stick with Aus Netflix and download anything else from torrents.
Have been looking into VPNs recently but sites like RARBG amd Vumoo have kept me sated for now.
Speaking of sated, the series Taboo by Ridley Scott and Tom Hardy has ticked all my boxes in my quest for quality TV viewing.

I use Strong VPN. It works with US Netflix but I dont use it all the time. Just when I need it. Cost is about $10 per month.

I really don't know why other than I want my computer to work better and faster hopefully because I cant be spied on and probed and analyzed and sized up by marketing bot tech etc.

You wouldn't be alone, yet people are happy to route their data through unknown servers in unknown countries run by unknown companies with unknown agendas, interesting...

It has a Hong Kong server.

Thanks mate, probably do a UK server to watch bbc on the down days, more just for social media and accessing google to be able to map, search that sort of thing. Wondering if it got past the great firewall.

I'll stick with expressvpn, they've been able to consistently do the job according to people I know living over there.

http://blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/
Nothing "does" China unless it's on the approved list, the CN firewall is damn skynet.
Article is about 18 months old, since then it's looked to have gotten worse.
Also locals using vpns are getting fined.

Your vpn may work for a day or so then magically it's locked down.

I've got some friends living over there that don't have too much issues with the great firewall with the right VPN.

Latest posts

Back