Do you talk to your yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't tend to have too in depth conversations with my yeast but I get on really well with some top cropping english and belgian yeasts, so much so they sometimes try and crawl out of the fermenter to see me.

JDW81 said:
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to do it on your own given that yeast reproduce asexually?
Wouldn't be as much fun, and I don't like beer that much. Besides, getting them into the habit of reproducing

I also generally find the yeast talking to me through releasing CO2 bubbles, but so far I haven't been able to translate it using Morse code as they appear to be talking gibberish.. I think there's a possibility they're drunk on sugar.

I asked my yeast for some guidance and here is what it said :
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards (brewers), nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God".
Well that said it all.
Nev

Prince Imperial said:
New Wyeast strain? Wy666 Westboro Baptist Ale?
This was a joke. I get jokes. I laugh at jokes.

Really Nev? I would have thought most strains of yeast would hold "Go forth and multiply" to be much more dear to their hearts than that verse.

MastersBrewery said:
I wonder, you know how they did studies with plants. They spoke to some, played classical music to some, rock 'n roll to others, and heavy metal to others, and left some all alone to themselves.
They eventually figured out that certain plants like different music.
Wonder what yeast likes to listen to?
http://youtu.be/zxa2yxdW6UM

I usually play this song to the yeast when pitching, they love it.

They can't hear you talking, they have their cans (headphones) up too loud

yeastpic-v4-72dpi_zps78ced054.jpg

QldKev said:
They can't hear you talking, they have their cans (headphones) up too loud

yeastpic-v4-72dpi_zps78ced054.jpg
Look at them, just hanging out with their buddies.

I'm naked at almost every part of the brewing process. Is that intimate enough?

I pitch the yeast as I prop my freshly manscaped body next to my fermenter in an embracing spoon until i hear the joyous sound of gaseous extrusion that leads to a 5 minute spine tingling orgasm. I lie in the fetal position next to the fermenter reminiscing on the electric wave we just rode together through the mists of brewtopia.

leighaus said:
I pitch the yeast as I prop my freshly manscaped body next to my fermenter in an embracing spoon until i hear the joyous sound of gaseous extrusion that leads to a 5 minute spine tingling orgasm. I lie in the fetal position next to the fermenter reminiscing on the electric wave we just rode together through the mists of brewtopia.
Chuff me (Yorkshire phrase) you must have been putting down a Belgian 12% job to get a result like that!

Are you sure the aforementioned 'electric wave' wasn't from the heating belt that got lodged up your @rse in the throws of passion? :D

leighaus said:
:)
Help is available :)

I also talk to my yeast.

It kinda makes some vaguely scientific sense. If sufficiently loud sounds of the right frequency (probably reasonably low) are emitted into the fermenter, it should help keep the yeast stirred up and mobile.

klangers said:
I also talk to my yeast.

It kinda makes some vaguely scientific sense. If sufficiently loud sounds of the right frequency (probably reasonably low) are emitted into the fermenter, it should help keep the yeast stirred up and mobile.

Yeah, the low frequency sounds may work well with a Belgian Abbey yeast as they would emulate the sounds of monks chanting. That would make those little Belgian yeasties feel right at home here on Aus ;)

Back