Do you talk to your yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
Whilst pitching the yeast to a nice chocolate stout today and I found myself talking to the yeast and wishing them well.

The more I thought about it the more I liked the Idea of talking to my little yeasties.

In future I might extend it into a more ritualistic event , do a little dance around the fermenter to encourage them in their work. Maybe a chant or three, possibly whilst wearing a dark hooded gown and burning incense. Who knows where it might end .... ritual sacrifice of the hop sock maybe?

Do you talk to your yeasties or dance around the fermenter come full moon?

I think most brewers brewers do.

The real question is: Do you talk dirty to your yeast...

I generally pitch 2 whole cartons of VB straight into my fermenter (tip for n00bs, if you buy longnecks you don't have to open as many bottles - lifehack!!), leave it for a week and then bottle, my mates reckon it's just as good as the the real thing!

Whats a yeast?

[SIZE=medium]I may have mentioned in the past that I find it difficult to talk about both Yeast and Honey Bees, without anthropomorphising. That was talk about not to; except sometimes to swear at the bees.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]M[/SIZE]

I definitely see my brewing as making an environment, feast, and resting place for a whole lot of living things to do their thing. Not in a serious way, jut a kind of happy factual way. No separating brewing from the circle of life though. I definitely put some good feelings my yeasts' way throughout the whole process. Happy beasties make better beer!

MHB said:
[SIZE=medium]I may have mentioned in the past that I find it difficult to talk about both Yeast and Honey Bees, without anthropomorphising. That was talk about not to; except sometimes to swear at the bees.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]M[/SIZE]
I can't think about Hunny Bee's without pondering it in the fuddly, soft muted voice of Winnie the Pooh.

:rolleyes:

Talk to my yeast? Course I do. And occasionally shout....

its interesting that tis thread showed up today.

Yesterday I checked on my beer and the pitched yeast had formed a yeast cake and it was now 14hrs ( extended lag ) and my wife heard me saying to the yeast and FV " come on now you can start fermenting yeast"......

I wonder, you know how they did studies with plants. They spoke to some, played classical music to some, rock 'n roll to others, and heavy metal to others, and left some all alone to themselves.
They eventually figured out that certain plants like different music.
Wonder what yeast likes to listen to?

It's well known that swearing helps - just like a sturdy thump on the back of a television that's gone on the blink will magically make the circuits realign.

MastersBrewery said:
I wonder, you know how they did studies with plants. They spoke to some, played classical music to some, rock 'n roll to others, and heavy metal to others, and left some all alone to themselves.
They eventually figured out that certain plants like different music.
Wonder what yeast likes to listen to?
Handels Worter Music?

brad81 said:
Get the Mrs involved and give them a demonstration in front of the fermenter :ph34r:
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to do it on your own given that yeast reproduce asexually?

Since I've been using aftermarket yeasts I have been snipping the top off the coopers kit yeast sachet, pouring em down the sink and wishing them "good luck". Just to give em a chance in life compared to an eternity in a foil packet. I don't feel so crazy after reading this thread. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Latest posts

Back