Do you squeeze the grain bag after mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I squeeze
I didn't at first due to reading some people saying there could be tannins extracted.
But now I squeeze like buggery every brew and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever, for instance in all the times I've brewed Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (the mrs requests I keep it on tap) I've never noticed a difference between squeezing or not squeezing

i do it. others don't and will argue it adds tannin to the beer. i haven't bothered going balls-out squeezing, but do it until the fairly noticeable, regular dripping stops.

When I BIAB I squeeze the crap out of it with a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves. Never had a tannin problem that I know of. And if others can taste it then, pfft, I don't make beer for them, I make it for me. :beerbang:

Sure do, this is my method.

med_gallery_23372_926_21429.jpg

I squeeze the bag. Never been able to detect any bad flavours in my beer because of it.

+1 on the squeeze.
I sit the bag on a oven rack over my boil pot and give it a squeeze while the pot comes to the boil.

I twist mine around until its tight, but don't bother pressing it with anything.

I sit mine on top of one of those oven racks and let it sit there. My Crown concealed element takes ages to boil so I just let gravity do most of the work for me. :)

I'm a squeezer, just think of all those sugars in the grain! :icon_drool2:

I will hang the bag and let it drain. I then squeeze to get my pre boil level.

Cheers

I squeeze the absolute crap out of it

Never had a bad tasting beer because of it

I got creams and they stopped the itch to scratch or squeeze ... Spose I should apologize ...

I believe tannin extraction is more a by product of pH and temperature.

I'm sure someone will post a link.

Lot of discussion about this a while back. Sure there are a lot of threads on it too. For the record when I biab, I squeeze.

Such a strange word, squeeze, doesn't take many times repeating it for it to sound weird...

I have a washing basket (holes in the bottom of it) that sits snuggly into a SuperCheap Auto tub. I put the bag in there and let it sit for a bit before shifting the grain around with a gloved hand.... most of the wort comes out. Then I'll let it drain and add to the pot before it comes to the boil.

I used to squeeze the crap out of it with no problems. Now I have a better bag which drains really well, so just let it drain into the pot while I bring to the boil and give it a little squeeze from time to time until it stops dripping.

slash22000 said:
I squeeze the bag. Never been able to detect any bad flavours in my beer because of it.
Slash, what are you going to do when a papers published saying this isn't best practise ;) :)

Ross said:
Slash, what are you going to do when a papers published saying this isn't best practise ;) :)
According to some, BIAB itself isn't best practice. ;)

I squeeze.
To quote; or perhaps paraphrase one Fletcher, 'Gotta get all them sexy sugaz.'

Latest posts

Back