Do you smoke cigarettes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

• Occasionally or socially?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when I drink?

• Yes but less than a packet a week

• 2-3 packets a week?

• At least a packet a day?

• I'm a chain smoker and smoke more than a packet a day?

• Non smoker

• Total voters
zindello said:
I smoked for about 6 years, from when I was 19 until I was 25. When I was 23 I really slowed from a pack a day to a few a day after seeing a bloke not that much older than me that had mouth cancer. The sight of it made me want to throw up then and there. I finally quit for good after a smoking/drinking binge at a mates wedding - I'd been smokeless for a few months beforehand and smoked 2 packs that night. The next morning I woke up and I felt so crook I said never again.
I think ciggies play a huge part in the morning after hangover. I have given up a few times, albeit briefly, and when out drinking during these times I never got a hangover...or at least it was very mild. Another good reason to quit.

Florian said:
I get your point, but it doesn't stop people smoking pot or taking herion or whatever either.
I propose all heavily-addictive substances to be available by prescription. The addict can then be monitored and helped.

And I can't for the life of me understand why you can't buy a heavily taxed joint from Dan Murphys. Just leave the bloody addicitive tobacco the hell out of it and most of the "Pot Problem" will go away too. But that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Haven't had a smoke in over a year.

previous to that I had smoked about 1/2 a pack a day for 23 years. I tried:
Patches - 4 times
cold turkey - countless times
nicotine mints - 1 time
Chewies - countless times
Champix - 2 times

The issue was that I LOVE the draw, the throat hit and the exhale. that's the ONLY part of smoking i enjoyed, the smell I didn't like at all along with the taste.

The only thing that has worked is "Vaping" or electronic cigarettes.
I still get the draw, the throat hit and the exhale, as well as the hand-to-mouth action and the visual smoke exhale. Everything I like about smoking and nothing that I hate.

No carcinogens or smell. My sense on taste and smell has returned and I feel a shitload better.
also, for the cost 2 packets of cigarettes you blokes can get a decent e-cig that doesn't look like it belongs in a ladies purse.

http://www.vapeking.com.au/
http://forums.aussievapers.com/forum.php

No affiliation or anything, just happy to help anyone who's struggling to kick the smokes.

Amber

Smoked from 17 years old through to about 31. I am nearly 35 now, and have started again for a few months here and there in the last couple years. It's been about 1.5 years since I properly smoked, but still have one when someone else is round with a pouch. Tastes like shit every time, and the last time I had one I was drinking a really hoppy IPA. One drag and I couldn't taste or smell the hops anymore!!! :unsure: Will probably call it a day from now on.

Bribie G said:
I was under the impression that was the subject of the currently active thread "smoking meat".
:lol:
ha ha, very good BG.
Act 1 Scene 1...... The bedroom.
Barney to wife...."did you turn the stove off? Something`s on fire."

Nick JD said:
I propose all heavily-addictive substances to be available by prescription. The addict can then be monitored and helped.

And I can't for the life of me understand why you can't buy a heavily taxed joint from Dan Murphys. Just leave the bloody addicitive tobacco the hell out of it and most of the "Pot Problem" will go away too. But that's beyond the scope of this thread.
Agree with most of your points, and other countries have already or are at least planning to implement similar things.

but I'll shut up now as to not derail this thread any further.

I smoked for around 18 years - gave up when I was 34. I have not had a smoke since 2 days after I decided to quit. Be nicotine free for nearly 14 years.
Interestingly (if that is a word), is that Mrs LagerBomb is giving up at the moment. She occassionally has 1 when she comes home from work. I tell her that while ever she has that 1 smoke she hasn't given up.
I loved a smoke, and was usaully around 20 cigs a day. More when I was with the mates on the gas. The reason I stopped - never once was money an incentive to give up, peer pressure never worked, gave up everyday when I got out of bed, coughing my guts up - no the reason I gave up was one day I walked in from door from work, looked at my 3 daughters and thought, I want to see my kids grow up, get married, have their own kids, help them with their batlles - you get my drift. Never told anyone the reason until lately when Mrs Bomb said she was going to stop smoking for exactly the same reason.
It's only money, and I would think few people really give up to save money. Smoking is a very selfish addiction - I hate it, but its legal, so knock yourself out if you want to smoke. Just don't like the fact that it is still legal when all evidence shows what it can do to you - the government banned asbestos, knowing the problems that it caused, why not cigarettes.
End of my first AHB rant
Cheers
LagerBomb

AmberDigits said:
Haven't had a smoke in over a year.

previous to that I had smoked about 1/2 a pack a day for 23 years. I tried:
Patches - 4 times
cold turkey - countless times
nicotine mints - 1 time
Chewies - countless times
Champix - 2 times

The issue was that I LOVE the draw, the throat hit and the exhale. that's the ONLY part of smoking i enjoyed, the smell I didn't like at all along with the taste.

The only thing that has worked is "Vaping" or electronic cigarettes.
I still get the draw, the throat hit and the exhale, as well as the hand-to-mouth action and the visual smoke exhale. Everything I like about smoking and nothing that I hate.

No carcinogens or smell. My sense on taste and smell has returned and I feel a shitload better.
also, for the cost 2 packets of cigarettes you blokes can get a decent e-cig that doesn't look like it belongs in a ladies purse.

http://www.vapeking.com.au/
http://forums.aussievapers.com/forum.php

No affiliation or anything, just happy to help anyone who's struggling to kick the smokes.

Amber
Im EXACTLY the same! Live for the draw...but isnt the draw just an addiction too? no one really lives for that feeling....does it feel good to have your chest / throat pounded? probably to you and me but not normal people i'd say.

Allan carr's book the easy way is good to but you have to be in the right frame of mind. If you do not want to give up you wont, simple as that.

Kids are a really good motivation too.

Fents said:
Im EXACTLY the same! Live for the draw...but isnt the draw just an addiction too? no one really lives for that feeling....does it feel good to have your chest / throat pounded? probably to you and me but not normal people i'd say.
For me it's a healthier alternative.
I cant stand the taste of cigarettes now and can smell a smoker a mile off.

it's also a habit changer because you can have a couple of drags of your e-cig and put it down. you don't need to 'smoke' the whole thing.
I can also wean myself off nicotine gradually (currently down to the equivalent of 2mg ciggies).

the draw is a psychological addiction but this psychological addiction wont kill me. Where cigarettes are pretty much guaranteed to kill me.

I highly recommend E-cigs. it's hard to adjust to them initially, but if you stick at it for 4-6 weeks, you'll never go back to the analogue cigarette.

Amber

Edit: Also, I can smell again, I can sit at the bar and when people say they can taste oak and raisins in a beer, im not sitting there anymore struggling to find it myself.
food tastes amazing and I can walk for more than 200m without huffing and puffing.

Back when I started dating my partner, 16yrs ago, she said to me in bed once, Do you smoke after sex?
I said I'm not sure, I'll check & see.............. :lol:
Had a couple of puffs of a ciggie when I was 15yrs old & nearly coughed my guts up. From that very first experience, I knew smoking wasn't for me.
Non smoker as is my partner & kids hopefully won't take up the habit.

currently 43 hours without a cigarette I'm using the nicorette spray but I think the e-cigarette will help me immensely

rick1111082 said:
currently 43 hours without a cigarette I'm using the nicorette spray but I think the e-cigarette will help me immensely
Good luck with it mate. Stay strong.

Crusty said:
Back when I started dating my partner, 16yrs ago, she said to me in bed once, Do you smoke after sex?
I said I'm not sure, I'll check & see.............. :lol:
Had a couple of puffs of a ciggie when I was 15yrs old & nearly coughed my guts up. From that very first experience, I knew smoking wasn't for me.
Non smoker as is my partner & kids hopefully won't take up the habit.
Mate, You needed to try harder than that! :D

I took smoking back up about 5 months ago after 8 years off them (13yo-22yo) to combat current stresses i face today. I will stop soon. I havent been paid for 3 weeks now and money is drying up :D I know it was silly of me to start. My ex missus/family hates the fact that i smoke (hence why i keep it from them now). I will never smoke in front of my kids and the fact that i hardly smoke while i drink (unlike the majority of smokers) makes it seem like a great reason to stop smoking and start drinking.......... Jokes aside, when my shit is sorted, i will stop.

rick1111082 said:
Email the guys at Vapeking.com.au
Brian is a top guy and will help you with getting everything you need to get setup.

cheers for the support guys just went for a drive to see if I can find an E-cigarette in Toowoomba, No go though so will check out Vapeking

Id really like to say Im a non smoker... but I cant.. I mostly surrender whan Im on the turps and hate myself for the weakness..

That said I dont smoke from day to day and Im proud of that.. If needs be I will go off the turps fro a month and see if that helps...

I have 6 weeks till my first child is born and Im determined that that will be the catalyst if it hasnt already happened.

Grandfather.. Lung Cancer
Grandfather.. emphasemia
Old man... is heading that way (+Melanoma)
Old Lady... (very recent) Lung Cancer

Reasons to give em a miss... yeah a couple... just shows how ******* evil they are, Im having a beer now and guess what Im trying to talk myself out of? :unsure:

Don't let your little one see you smoke, Yob.

Be the end of the line for him/her.

For quite a long time after I gave up, I would regularly dream that I was having a cigarette, it still happens but very rarely now.

My dream would be along the lines of me smoking and thinking that I had really let myself down by starting again.

These were recurring dreams for years.

.........I just remembered when it was that I decided that I was never going to smoke again. I was feeling these faint muscle spasms in my chest. Near my heart. Dad (reformed smoker) had recently had a triple bypass op and one of my aunties (his sister and the most beautiful person I have known) had died from a massive heart attack, to my knowledge she never smoked.

I booked myself in for a checkup (something all of us over 40's should do annually) and when I finished my durry on the way to the clinic, I said to myself "that's the last one ever".

So far so good.

Black Devil Dog said:
For quite a long time after I gave up, I would regularly dream that I was having a cigarette, it still happens but very rarely now.

My dream would be along the lines of me smoking and thinking that I had really let myself down by starting again.
I still have these dreams 12 years after giving up.

I have a similar dream, after losing 30kg since last July, where I have put all the weight back on and feel really guilty.

Latest posts

Back