Do You Follow The Recipe Religiously ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Do you allow yourself some 'poetic liscence' with the recipe?

Is it so important !!!!!

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
Do you allow yourself some 'poetic licsence' with the recipe?

Is it so important !!!!!
[post="58018"][/post]​
I am always tinkering with my own recipes, let alone stick to other peoples religously. I might start with someone elses or just do a bit of homework from say Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers" and go from there.

Is that a good book I heard a couple of people say they got it

Once I finalise a recipe, I stick to it religiously.

Jovial Monk

JM is that an Obsessive compulsive nature :)

It is commonsense: how can I replicate a recipe if I add stuff on the spur of the moment?

JM

Jovial_Monk said:
Once I finalise a recipe, I stick to it religiously.
[post="58032"][/post]​
Me too. I just haven't finalised any recipes yet.

Pumpy said:
Is that a good book I heard a couple of people say they got it
[post="58027"][/post]​
Pumpy, I like the book. It provides lots of background information for you to make up your own mind. Not a recipe book. If you sold that burner you could by 10 copies.

i dont stick to em most i brew are me own and or similar to others but i do change things as to what grain i have or i do like to experiment a bit to see how different it taste then i will have a few house brews then

I don't ever change the recipe on brewday as i sometimes take a couple weeks to make the recipe. As far as getting a recipe from someone else then i will tinker with it untill iam completely happy with it before i brew it, but again i won't change anything on brewday.
Somethings i change with other peoples recipes if i brew them are cut down on the crystal malts or stick to one or two types if the recipe calls for 5 different types and a hell of a lot of it.

Jayse

Jovial_Monk said:
It is commonsense: how can I replicate a recipe if I add stuff on the spur of the moment?
[post="58037"][/post]​

a. I rarely try to replicate a recipe.

b. Tweaking a recipe is not a spur of the moment thing for me. A recipe might rattle around in the empty void that is my headspace for weeks before I decide to commit to it. I brewed my second stout a few weeks ago and the roast barley has poked its head out a bit too much (mental image of Fat *******). I will cut it back next time.

c. Why limit yourself to someone elses recipe? If you want to add cockroaches then do it.

d. If you entered a beer into a comp and the judges said great, but lacks sufficient hop aroma then of course you want to tweak it.

e. I forgot what e was.

Latest posts

Back