Do yeast eat hop compounds?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Thinking about so many questions on hop aroma it makes me wonder, do yeast eat hop compounds if not flocced out before dry hopping? It would definitely make sense but is there science to support the theory?

Attachments

• IMG20201209172614.jpg
    IMG20201209172614.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 5
Even I think its getting a bit esoteric
I think "eat" might be a bit misleading, biggest difference is I suspect, when added early more of the volatiles (smelly bits) are stripped out by the CO2, this can be a mixed blessing, there are things in a wort I, for one am happy to see gone, and yes it will eject some of the lightest most delicate hop aromas.
If you want to get a bit more technical, A paper and a series of slides from a Shellhammer talk, see the ref in the article razz posted.
Mind you there are lots of things I would be more concerned about than yeast eating hops.
Mark

Attachments

• Hop Dry-hopping-Beer-Achieving-Consistent-Flavor1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • hops dry t shell lafontaine2018.pdf
    347.8 KB · Views: 14
I think interaction is preferable to “eat”
This is the first time I’ve bothered to read about the subject in a scientific fashion.
Thanks mate, I do recall reading about biotransformation of hop oils when bottling years ago but had completely forgotten all about it up until now

Latest posts

Back