Do U Use A Sieve When Draining The Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
What do u guys use to strain the last few litres of the kettle with? I find the standard sieve just does not cut it, as it get clogged up far to quick. I was thinking of using one of those big conicle sieves as they would have a bigger capacity to hold more hops. I only need to sieve about 2 litres at the end and that would leave about 2 litres in the kettle, and that would be acceptable.
What do u guys use?

STEPHEN

I don't use anything to strain kettle output, whirlpool after flameout, wait 10 minutes and by then everything has settled to the bottom. Then I drain the kettle. Most of the hop and hot break debris remains in the boiler. I run off via CFC into a spare fermenter, let that settle, then drop that into the primary fermenter.

A whole hop would quickly block the CFC so mainly use pellets as I have no hopback in the kettle. The few times I have used whole hops, I have out them into a boiling mesh bag.

I use nothing as well. Let it whirlpool then tilt the kettle when it gets to the bottom and watch it until the break starts to run out. I use an immersion chiller. Works fine. FWIW I have no dip tube either.

Cheers, JD

I whirlpool, cover the kettle and let it stand 45-60 minutes. I do stillput a sieve over the fermenter that catches most of the very small amount of hops that make it through the CFC. Use the type of plastic-framed sieve that has 2 hooks on the rim, the conical kind tends to fall into the fermenter all the &*^$ time

Jovial Monk

SJW said:
What do u guys use to strain the last few litres of the kettle with? I find the standard sieve just does not cut it, as it get clogged up far to quick. I was thinking of using one of those big conicle sieves as they would have a bigger capacity to hold more hops. I only need to sieve about 2 litres at the end and that would leave about 2 litres in the kettle, and that would be acceptable.
What do u guys use?

STEPHEN
[post="53911"][/post]​

Gday Stev,
Why not use a hop bag it will save a lot of that stuff. Go to Bunnings paint department & buy a packet of paint strainers they are very fine & don't let too much through you can buy a packet of two for 50c.

My new boiler has a brilliant little device for a pickup. I can't claim credit, it was Asher's work. It's just a piece of fine flyscreen type wire mesh, that has been rolled into a tube. You stick one end into the tap hole thingy, and the other end is fully movable.

You whirlpool, then as the boiler drains you adjust the end of the pickup to sit just about the hops and break material. It works like a charm, and is so simple.

Here is a pic of it:
pickup.jpg

Looks like a roll of fly screen is headed for the boiler, thanks Barfridge (and Asher). Never use to use anything, but it would be good to filter the hops out of the cold break (I use an immersion chilller and add a little of the cold break for the yeaties to eat.)

Nice idea guys

And a nice clean kettle too :blink:

Like mine , shows it get used :beerbang: :beer:

Batz

Whirlpool and let it sit for 30 mins. :super:

Seems to work well. General rule of thumb I get good runoff almost to the bottom of the kettle. Any more than 120g of hops in the kettle and it gets kind of crappy earlier. :unsure:

I've done two brews since fitting the pickup tube. Great idea. Don't need to tilt the kettle (dangerously) onto a brick anymore to get the bottom couple of litres. :D

BTW Barfridge. Have you heard of a scourer? :lol:

Warren -

yes, point taken. I'll give it a good clean before its next use.

Justin said:
I use nothing as well. Let it whirlpool then tilt the kettle when it gets to the bottom and watch it until the break starts to run out. I use an immersion chiller. Works fine. FWIW I have no dip tube either.
[post="53915"][/post]​
I find the whirlpool works for low hopping rates (pellets here) but for a big hop head APA I lose quite a bit at the bottom of the kettle. Nevermind, I drain it into separate containers and after it settles, I pour it off and freeze it for future starter wort (to be sanitized in pressure cooker).

Has anyone tried a snorkel type pickup? If Dan Listermann gets onto it I reckon he would call it a phloater.

It would need some high temperature, flexible tubing with some float on the end that drew wort from the surface. You could start siphoning soon after whirlpooling.

My new boiler has a brilliant little device for a pickup. I can't claim credit, it was Asher's work. It's just a piece of fine flyscreen type wire mesh, that has been rolled into a tube. You stick one end into the tap hole thingy, and the other end is fully movable.

The stainless steel mesh is from one of those toaster rack thingys you use on gas cooktops. You can get replacement mesh from the camping shops for under $2... Cheapest ss mesh I've found by far...

Asher for now

SJW said:
What do u guys use?

STEPHEN
[post="53911"][/post]​

I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand ss conical sieve from a catering shop. After whirlpooling, the pickup tube drains the wort through a sterilised stocking that's held in place over the (sterilised) sieve. The result is a really clean wort ready for fermentation. :D :D

Tidalpete said:
I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand ss conical sieve from a catering shop. After whirlpooling, the pickup tube drains the wort through a sterilised stocking that's held in place over the (sterilised) sieve. The result is a really clean wort ready for fermentation. :D :D
[post="61841"][/post]​

I've got one of those large conical sieves too. I bought it with a view to doing partial mash brews, but ended up going straight to AG.
Used it for the first time the other week with the TCP Wetpak brew I did (becuase I mashed some grains in a couple of thermos's) and in conjunction with a hop bag it worked a treat.

Beers,
Doc

Nup, no sieve
Just a lovely R.I.M.S system that leaves me with clean wort from my kettle to the tap !
:p

I have a T about 120mm long that sits above the base of the kettle. It has large slots cut into the top of the tubing. After the boiled wort has settled, the trub / hop sludge is at the bottom and the wort is taken off through the slots which gives a nice clear wort.

Cheers
Pedro

Back