Do tallies mature more slowly than stubbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
those marketing types are probably people who don't drink beer.
They're the ones drinking Corona with the slice of lemon.
And probably doing it with their hair tied in a ponytail at the back. And in their shirtsleaves with braces instead of a belt in their pants, even though all pants are now tailored to fit a belt.

Ponytail? Really? Is this a sketch on Fast Forward?

carniebrew said:
I don't blame you....

Hey so did you ever use 'tallie' in place of long neck for the 750ml bottles? I agree that I'd always call a 330/375ml a 'stubby' in conversation, but was certainly aware of them being called long necks...by the ad men and marketers...

No sorry, i've never used or even heard the word tallie, although i believe people do use it (to describe a 750 ml bottle) after reading here.

Not the other way you say.

Btw, i would have ignored this whole shit if i hadn't read another thread where you'd propogated this stuff recently.
It's not that i'm against people bringing new words into the lexicon, just garbage ones.

NotExactlyMajesticPunkin

Perhaps someone should pen a lexicon on bottles.

Tallies, longies. Same same.
A stubbie is great and a traveller is even better.

If you need to see a Fast Forward sketch about ad men just go to Byron. The ponytails still exist.

Getting back to the OP. My chosen bottles for keeping are Coopers tallies and stubbies. The shape of the neck is very similar in both bottles and the bulb that holds the liquid nectar is much bigger by comparison in the tallies.

Are RIMS users rimmers?

I lived in Swaziland. The locals call the 750ml's "skottela", (pronounced similar to "bottela") which is a colloquial name for a "skottel", which is a basin!

Just my 2c worth!

It seems like my darker beers taste best bottled in 500's. And I can't imagine this being anything other than my imagination, but I can pick the ones bottled in 500's in blind tastings (as opposed to tasting blind :party: ). It's an enigma. Or bullshit. I can't decide.

Where'd you get it? Interested in organising a BB?

Totally off-topic opinion-driven non-technical thread - hell, yes.
I'll contribute my 2c too!

Never heard "tallies" until 24hrs ago reading this.

While i'm loathe to agree with anyone, "longnecks" is clearly the correct word. That's the only label i've ever come across - in Gippsland, Cranbourne, lots of suburbs in Melbourne (inner & outer), Wangaratta, Bendigo, Albury/Wodonga, & Shepparton. That should be a sufficient sample size to verify it's the proper word for 750's for all of australia, nay, the world (except Swaziland).
And those 330-375's are definitely "stubbies"

Or maybe it's just a Vic thing.
(um ... except for the previous vic post-er who'd never heard of longnecks)

'nuff said.

Sorry to hear about your hernia, manticle

Just to add to the confusion, Coopers used to call 750ml bottles Quarts.
Wouldn't surprise me if they still do!

375mL VB-like bottles are "Stubbies";
375mL TED-like bottles are "Mid-Necks";
750mL bottles are "Long Necks" or "Tallies".

No idea what to call the 500mL German bottles though...

Back in the day of the introduction (marketing) of the "cold filtered" beers like Carlton Cold and Hahn Ice both were referred to as being packaged in "long neck" bottles of 375ml. Never heard of "mid-neck" bottles before.

Remember the Carlton Cold plastic stubbies that according to the ad were good for throwing around the pool.

I always knew 750ml bottles as "Tallies".

I'm a tallie, because I'm 185cm from the ground to the top of my hairless pate.
I'm sure I'm maturing a lot slower than jockey sized people, as dear mrs warra constantly tells me I have yet to grow up.

So, yes, a larger vessel will mature slower than a smaller one. That's a fact which applies to beer, as well as wine etc.

Ive never called a long neck a tallie . but we did call 500ml cans that when we were in the USA. i dont think they did we just started saying it, much like aussies do.

has anyone ever dry to bottle ferment / carb in a darwin stubbie?

I use Darwin stubbies regularly and they are great. I use about 2/3 of the sugar I would normally use.

Back