Do NOT soak chrome Perlicks in sodium perc!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Reaction score
It dissolves the chrome plating inside the tap.
Just sayin.

Is there much of a coating inside to begin with? Would've thought the beer would be more damaging.

Starsan caught between whatever you sprayed it on, and a stainless steel surface and left overnight, is not a great idea either!

Yep done this after a complete strip down. Yeah they still work but I think I'll move to ss 650's.

Yes the tap still works however it produces a lot of foam.
Might give those Intertaps a try.

Mr. No-Tip said:
That's why God invented bracton line cleaner
Nope.

Bracton did exactly the same thing to my PC Perlick taps.

Have since upgraded to SS 650's.

WarmerBeer said:
Nope.

Bracton did exactly the same thing to my PC Perlick taps.

Have since upgraded to SS 650's.
Iiinteresting. Good to know.

What are the symptoms of dissolving? Anything visual or just less tap performance?

Mr. No-Tip said:
Iiinteresting. Good to know.

What are the symptoms of dissolving? Anything visual or just less tap performance?
I had little flecks of chrome plating sitting on the head of every beer I poured.

Pretty, but not an incentive to drink it.

My three tap font has Micromatic chrome plated taps, rear sealing, that have been getting worse and worse for the last couple of years, pour foam like buggery as well as jamming if left for a few days without pouring.

This thread seems to have solved the problem, I've been regularly giving them a good soak in strong Perc, followed by a big serve of Starsan.

Just ordered a pair of forward-sealing SS taps (centre tap is the stout tap, no problems with that one).

edit:

@mikec I've ordered Intertaps from National Home Brewing, sub $50 each - they look like a goer.

Back