Do I have mould/infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatbreaker

Reaction score
I'm making up a brown ale which has been in primary for two weeks now - I might let it go another week or more though I've come to open the fermenter today and noticed this brown gunk floating to the top. The yeast I used is US-05 incase that has anything to do with it as I've read some yeasts can output stuff like this.

I've only been brewing for 9 months so I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. Should I skim it off the top? Also interestingly the brown gunk looks exactly the same as the brown gunk clinging to the sides (which I think is actually normal).

Any ideas? Images attached.
Note1: There might appear to be white bits to the floating gunk but it's actually the light just reflecting in the photo.
Note2: I tasted it and it tastes fine so no problems there

My real concern is that if I let it go for any longer white mouldy stuff will grow on the top of the wort.

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

Your beer is infected with yeast as far as I can tell.

Actively fermenting beer is unlikely to develop mould.

The beer is no longer actively fermenting as far as I can see, there is no activity from the airlock and gravity is not dropping.

Ok thanks guys, I'll leave it as is for another week and let the yeast drop from the top to clear up. Great advice, cheers! :D

Latest posts

Back