DMS When Whirpooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been doing some reading about DMS after I was recommended to keep the lid off my urn during the boil.

However, I was told at the brew demo at G&G that when I whirlpool I should keep the lid on my urn since it leads to a better cone.

My question is, will keeping the lid on while whirlpooling not also net me some DMS into the bargain since it will condense and fall back in? What do you guys do?

Thanks!
James

I would think that after you boil for 60 - 90 min (or however long you boil) that you have driven off most of the precursors for DMS. If there isn't any (or at least a very small amount) of precursor left it shouldn't give you DMS, right?

Happily corrected if I'm wrong of course.

I can often smell DMS when I whirlpool. I do put a lid on at flameout to prevent shit falling in (I let sit 20, whirpool, then wait another 20 so I don't like to leave the wort exposed to dust/bird/mouse/giraffe shit during that time.

I use a keggle so there are vents at the sides for some volatiles to make their way out and my minimum boil is 90 mins but the levels of DMS in the finished beer are well below my threshold.

DMS may still be produced after a long boil but the levels remaining in the beer being higher than the average person's threshold is unlikely. Other factors can transform the SMM (precursor) to DMS during fermentation depending on how much SMM is left (and it's likely there will always be some).

For most beers with a long boil, it is unlikely you will notice anything. If you do, change your practice.

A regular whirlpool stand (<30min) after a good vigourous boil is unlikely to result in noticeable DMS at serving, and the benefits of the whirlpool will be worth it.

Sorry if a little OT but I must be doing it all wrong because I whirlpool after chilling (not hot). I chill almost immediately after boil (a couple of mins) and have the lid partially on during this time (pipes coming out of pot), I then whirlpool and cover once cold. Obviously there is little/no DMS production this way but is this the right way to do it?

Cold whirlpool would settle more protein (cold break) but massively increases the potential for contamination compared to whirlpooling hot.

Bizier said:
Cold whirlpool would settle more protein (cold break) but massively increases the potential for contamination compared to whirlpooling hot.
Could you elaborate please? I use a sanitised spoon to whirlpool. I don't run any risk of HSA (if that's even real), the cooling coil doesn't interfere with my cone (not that I have ever got a decent cone any way) and the whole DMS thing.

Back