DMS in my brew, throw or wait.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Brewed up a lager on Sunday and due to faffing about with SWMB helped to do all sorts of shit whilst I am trying to brew.....the brew did not go to plan.
Mash went fine, boil not so much. In the carry on I did not check on the time of me pre-hop boil....should have been about50 minutes(no chilling, first hops 40min).
Problem is it could have been much shorter.
Anyhow, boiled, let sit after boil, again for longer than planned, so syphoned straight to cube without whirlpooling, already been sitting too long.
Monday come to transfer from cube to fermenter and when I opne the cube there is a full on cooked cabbage smell and a thick layer of 'sludge' on top.
I assume the sludge is just hops and break that I hadnt left behind, but the smell was quite strong, I tasted the wort and it was what was to be expected but had a slightly weird flavour,
which I not sure came from the wort or was a flow over from the smell. Certainly seems like a good whack of DMS to me.
I"ve never come across it in one of my brews though I have seen it discussed but not at great length. So I pitch my yeast (White Labs 802- Budejovice).
2 things Im interested in.
1. Is the brew worth pushing on with or am I better off tossing and getting something else into the fermenting fridge...dont want it out for 3 weeks for no reason.
2. Is the yeast recoverable, will it be alright to wash and reuse or will it be stuffed from the DMS.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Recipe..
Pilsener 70%
Vienna 23%
Wheat Dark 7%

Mittlefruh to 24 IBU

Was it bittering addition only?
I'd be inclined to reboil and recube.
CO2 can scrub out some dms but not sure how much in your case.

Czech breweries boil for two hours, I believe. As Manticle suggests it wouldn't do any harm to boil again for an hour - better a beer with perhaps subdued hop aroma than to chuck the batch.

for me, you've got a $10 or so yeast in already, I'll let it ferment out and take it as a good learning.

Just took a sample and it tastes pretty rank.
Cant brew for another week so I'll leave it a while a longer and see but its not looking good.

Will the yeast be reusable if washed or will it hold onto some weird flavour.

yum beer said:
Just took a sample and it tastes pretty rank.
Cant brew for another week so I'll leave it a while a longer and see but its not looking good.

Will the yeast be reusable if washed or will it hold onto some weird flavour.
I wouldn't re-use yeast from a beer I threw out, but that could just be me :)

Re-use it, you will have a great big healthy pitch for your next lager. DMS is bi-product of wort production that has little to no affect on fermentation and yeast health. You are going to chuck the beer because DMS has a flavour impact to the consumer (You), not because of infection or the yeast is malfunctioning.
You might find the DMS is reduced after fermentation - CO2 generated by fermentation will scrub some out. Probably not enough for your problem though. If you keg you can carbonate, then de-carbonate the keg and this can remove even more DMS. I've had one batch from a FWK that was all canned corn and I did this a couple of times and it did get a bit better, but life is too short to drink crap beer so I chucked it.

I also think a 50 min boil, no-chilling and using 75% pilsner malt is a mistake. Anything with Pilsner as the base malt always gets a 90min boil for me.

Unless you have one of those fancy brewhouses that boils under pressure then regularly vents pressure to cause volatiles such as DMS to be removed effeciently without large boiloff volumes.

My pale ale that is my only brew recipe has 90% pilsner malt and I always boil for 90min and start adding hops at 45min

Back