Dme Vs Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
I'm starting to play around with a couple of diff. recipes to try and get a better idea on how certain ingredients affect the beer.

I was wondering what the taste (or any other differences) using DME rather than LME in a brew. Is one more fermentables than the other (I would think that DME would be not being 'watered' down, but I could be wrong there)

Any other information between how they differ....?

The main advantage of DME is that it doesn't go stale as quickly as LME. However, LME is generally cheaper, and is fine if you know that it's fresh.

As for fermentability, some say that DME is less fermentable. But I've noticed no difference. It depends more on the mashing techniques of the manufacturer, and what malts were used etc., than whether the extract is in liquid or dry form.

Thanks straits,

I'll have a play around with it but really from what you are saying apart from their physical appearence, and their storing properties, they are fairly similiar (keeping in mind what processes the manufacturer used)....

There is a differnce between DME and LME.

1kg of DME is equal to 1.2kg of LME...

eg there is more malt in DME...

Hope this helps.

:rolleyes: The biggest difference I have found with DME is it doesnt clear as well as LME..As for taste it doesnt make a lot of difference .
Any of you guys find it doesnt clear as well ?
Im not saying its leaving a cloudy beer but I find the beer does'nt sparkle as much using DME..

Cheers JWB

JWB said:
:rolleyes: The biggest difference I have found with DME is it doesnt clear as well as LME..As for taste it doesnt make a lot of difference .
Any of you guys find it doesnt clear as well ?
Im not saying its leaving a cloudy beer but I find the beer does'nt sparkle as much using DME..

Cheers JWB
Are you boiling it for the hot break and cold break to occur ?

If not I can see why you would be getting a cloudy beer. I've personally not had a problem with DME clearing up.

:eek: Yep your right Kook.
I have been lazy last few brews and not boiled the wort.
Guess ive found it easier and quicker to boil the kettle and add to the fermenter. Next brew.I will get back to doing what I know best :rolleyes: ("thats what I tell SWMBO anyway"

Good head to you.

JWB

there a big difference you guys have missed lme is the result of a normal mash and dme the starches are converted in a much different way and will always leave a sweeter taste.

Back