Dme Differences

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
I've was just browsing an online HBS and was looking at the range of DME and I saw that they offer Muntons spray dry and Muntons band dry.
For 25kg bags the spray dry is nearly $50 more.
What's the difference and is it worth paying that much more?
I'd intend on using to make kit beers.
Thanks.

Hey thunderlips,
Band dried malt moves along a 'band' under a vaccum, the final product is not a powder yet it goes from there to be milled into a powder, what comes of the band is like a honey comb, just a big cake of dried malt. Spray dry malt the wort is sprayed into hot air and the result i believe comes out already in powdered form.
As to why spray dried is better i have no clue.

But iam sure theres a few brewers here that can explain further.

Jayse

Dare I suggest the spray dried is better because it costs more, and inherently therefore must be better.

jayse said:
Hey thunderlips,
Band dried malt moves along a 'band' under a vaccum, the final product is not a powder yet it goes from there to be milled into a powder, what comes of the band is like a honey comb, just a big cake of dried malt.
[post="89988"][/post]​

Thanks Jayse. That explains a lot.

Years ago my fathers business used tons of powdered milk, remember at some point they changed to spray dried as the other was no longer approved for sale for human consumption. The spray dried was more expensive but the end product was heat treated so it was ok to go back to, I think it was roller dried.

Anyway if you are going to use it in a boil of 15 min or longer the cheaper stuff should not make any diff, right?

Is there a difference in extract potential between the two? The band dried may have more water content

Back