DIY Kegmenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

I just wanted to put a quick questions out to you guys. We are looking to either make 58Liter Kegmenters or 50L kegmenters. The 58Liter ones are about 40mm higher and the price is only $6 more for the 58L model.

Based on these facts would you guys be more interested in the 58L size or the 50L size?

Some customers seem to be using the Kegmenters for brewing 50L batches so it seems to make sense that if you are going to rack this off into a 50L keg that you have a bit more head space in the fermenter itself.

If you guys were kind enough to vote that would be appreciated and based on the vote we will stock one or the other.

I do double batches (10 gallons) and find the 50 litre kegmenter is fine.

What I'd prefer is a bigger tri clover fitting on the roof. I understand there'd be a cost difference but if that thing was 6 inches rather than 4, I could get my arm in and clean the thing properly. Not sure if that's an option for you to look at.

i have been using 50L kegmenter for 2X 19l kegs after losses from diptube etc and keeping a head space i reckon 58L would be "better"

are you thinking something like a 4" triclover unit on top ?

i have been using 50L kegmenter for 2X 19l kegs after losses from diptube etc and keeping a head space i reckon 58L would be "better"

are you thinking something like a 4" triclover unit on top ?

Yes we did have plans to continue to use the 4" triclover on the top.

The diameter is a trade off with pressure. So the larger you go the more difficult it is to make the lid seal.

Typically with the 4" tri-clover you can get it to seal up at about 3 bar however if you go to 6"inch you might only get about 2 bar.

So the question is do you prefer the larger opening enough to be able to accept a lower working pressure?

If there was option for 58L with 6in fitting I'd be all over it. I don't have a need to operate over 2bar...

58L and 6 inch hole. More head space for 50L batches!

If there was option for 58L with 6in fitting I'd be all over it. I don't have a need to operate over 2bar...
Automatic pressure release over 30PSI would be awesome as well. For many purposes it would eliminate the need for a spunding valve entirely.

2 bar is 29 psi which is more than enough for brewing purposes. Will let you fully carbonate most styles at warm temperatures and then cold crash.

^ my point exactly - and no longer needing a spunding valve would make a pressure fermenter very enticing for purchase.

^ my point exactly - and no longer needing a spunding valve would make a pressure fermenter very enticing..

I don't mind the valve, I just wish it was more adjustable and came with a gauge that covered the required range.

Spunding valves are not strictly sanitary so having one built in could be problematic. I like being able to remove it and pull it apart for cleaning.

I don't mind the valve, I just wish it was more adjustable and came with a gauge that covered the required range.

Spunding valves are not strictly sanitary so having one built in could be problematic. I like being able to remove it and pull it apart for cleaning.
I certainly don't want a valve built in but am happy enough with a vessel that self-vents at 30psi :) . I'd be planning to use a removable spunding valve (e.g. ball lock QD).

A lot of arms find 4” difficult. 6 and 58 would get me in to this, whereas I am not currently as it’s all a bit so so despite the interest

A lot of arms find 4” difficult.

Break a scaphoid (tiny bone in your wrist) you'll be in a cast 10 to 12 weeks, your arm will then easily fit through said 4" opening.

Problem solved!
(seems I've done this for a second time to my right hand see the doc tomoz for the results. Though upside I have 2 50L kegmenters that need cleaning so I be good to go when I get the cast off. Down side I can brew with said cast on)

If I was to get one for $6 more then I'd get a 58L over a 50L, as more volume adds more potential to a piece of kit. However with a taller brew fridge in my repertoire now, I can afford to say such stuff.

Pressure hose with an adjustable head negates the need for a bigger opening anyway.
58 would be better though. I normally brew doubles in a 50l and have had krausen overflows when dry hopping.

Being as I can drink ordinary bitter quicker than I can make it I will be going for a 60 litre pressure fermenter,(make it myself) no worrying about any blow off going through the spunding that will be isolated out of the way.

My vote is for 58L with corny keg fittings. Can still get in there to clean and aligns with all my other kegs.

I am planning a sour solera and this size keg with corny fittings would be perfect for long aging with minimum 02 ingress.

60 litre fermenter, easy to clean and fit all your bits and pieces to.

Drum Heavy Duty 60LT - D60

BRAND NEW Open head container with metal c clamp on lid. These are food grade and heavy duty.

Click on image for more views.

The 26l kegmenters would be perfect. Definitely putting my vote in for these. Perfect for single batch size and a small solera project.

Back