Diy Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
I have been searching for a fridge (or freezer) that will fit 4 kegs AND is no larger than 1000Hx600Wx600D (or there abouts) to no avail.

Does anyone have links to sites where people have constructed their own fridges using parts from other fridges?

My thinking is this. Buy a fridge about the size (area) of the ultimate fridge that I need, Remove the working gear, make an insulated box from the material they use for cool rooms, put the old fridge gear into it and voila, a home made fridge.

I would need to disconnect the pipes and get the thing re-gassed when it is all braised up and ready to go again but I would have a fridge that is the exact size I need.

What are peoples thoughts?

Are the pipes routed through the walls of a fridge for the purpose of cooling the fridge (internally) or is it just for insulation/hiding of the pipes?

Failing all this I am going to buy 2 bar fridges and put them side by side under my bar, 2 kegs in each.

just a thought brenton
read some other post somewhere of a good idea .
if you have a bung fridge cut out a section from the bung fridge/cut out a section from the good fridge.side of fridges is the general spot.and silastic/join the two fridges together and you have just doubled your fridge capacity using one fridge.you can use that via duct type stuff or what ever you want but the general idea is piggy backing a bung fridge to a good fridge.if i find the site will
post it.
hope you get the general idea of this

cheers
big d B)

Thanks Big d.

I had thought of this but was worried about the pipes in the side wall of the good fridge being cut. Otherwise it is a brilliant idea.

I suppose if you were careful about removing the sheet metal from the side of the fridge you may ba able to keep the pipes in place and just remove the insulation material and join 2 together.

I will talk to some cool room guys and see what they think of my idea.

Another thought I had was to take an upright fridge that is wide enough to fit the height of kegs and turn it on its side. To do this I would have to reposition the compressor so it was still upright.

Then I could make a new door for the fridge.

i have just built a cool room.
its about 1.5m x 1.5m. iam gunna be running it with a 2 hp aircon for fermenting in summer. iam pretty sure it will even work down to fridge temp.
i want to put a divider down the middle and run one side with the compressor etc from a fridge i have.i don't think i can maintain stable temps in both sides like a fridge/ freezer with the same compressor doing both.
i'll get some pics up.

Whoa!
That sounds great Jayse , gunna cost you to run it I bet

i brought a freezer at the weekend for my keg system, using a thermostat controller.
drilled a pilot hole in the front wall for my tap, checked for gas lines. nope
drilled pilot hole straight thru, checked again nope.
drilled hole saw thru front BANG. hidden gas line.
is there any way of fixing it or is it destined to become my incubator box.

crackers

jayse, you'll probably need the guts of an commercial fridge for that kind of volume! Imagine the duty cycle of a stock kitchen fridge for that much space... I'd be running 80% of the time, I reckon (I am not a fridge mechanic). Let us know how it works out. I'm interested.

crackers that guy has heaps of stainless benches/sinks etc. no reserve.
thanx for the heads up.
and a full size bar it looks like everything thing will be sold for next to nothing. no keg stuff though or glass wear.

i'll place some bids on all the stainless stuff.

the coolroom will run no probs with the aircon and once its full of cold liquid it will not need to run very often at all.

it will not take anymore power than the two fridge/freezers i am using at the moment.
the colder side will hardly ever be opened and will be full of cold liquid so i can't see any probs at all the compressor will not run that often no where near as much as a fridge under normal use.(ie kids openning it all day long.)

i got all the stuff from a fridgey (my brother).the panels are off cuts from a huge cool room.

anyway once i have it going i will soon see.

cheers jayse

Hi Jayse,

I will make some bids on the SS stuff as well.
PM me...i dont want to bid against you.

Do you want to go halves in the bar....cut it down...

Latest posts

Back