Ditch "Home Brew", it's "Home Made Craft Beer" ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakers

Reaction score
I reckon we should abandon the term "home brew". Especially those brewers that can really brew; whether it's kit, extract or AG doesn't really matter. If you can brew a high quality beer you are making home made craft beer. The term "home brew" reminds me of the days when the only reason to brew was to get dirt cheap beer. If this is the only reason you brew then you probably are making home brew. However, most of us on this forum are interested in making beer of better quality than we can easily buy. Yeah we get a buzz out of making beer for less than a dollar a litre but it isn't out primary motivation. So ditch "home brew" and go "home made craft beer"

Cheers,
Oakers.

I make beer.

At home. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's less than good

Don't give a rat's what anyone else calls it.

I drink beer

Out. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's less than good.

Don't give a rat's what anyone calls it.

What if it was jam? Craft Jam? Swill Jam? home made jam? It's ******* jam. Eat it or don't.

Here we go again, will try to find the old thread.

When serving my beer to people that haven't had it before I call it home brew, at least it gets them to associate home brew with beer better than the crap they pay money for.
Otherwise I call it beer, quite happy for mates to say they are coming over for a homebrew. Gotta change the general perception of homebrew somehow.

Took a couple of kegs to our cricket break up on the weekend. Had about 15 people that hadn't tried it before, we also had a $400 kitty to put over the bar. I was pretty chuffed to see that the kitty wasn't touched until both kegs were empty and had quite a few gold and new drinkers converted.

Cheers

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Dont like my home brew? Turn your nose up at my home brew? Dont drink it! Bring your own god damn beer around, or drink tap water.

It is what it is. Beer brewed at home, hence the age old term, 'Home brew'.

It's Home Brew here, that's were it's brewed and that's what people understand. Craft beer comes after they have tasted a couple of your home brews.

Fellow brewers know so they just call it a brew. :super:

Maybe we should change the name of Aussie home brewer to "Aussie home made craft beer..... ummmmm people".

www.americanpeoplewhomakebeer.com

It's beer drink it or don't doesn't worry me

I say there chaps, care for one of my 'home made craft beers'?

wanker.jpg

Up here it's home brew

Definitely won't be calling any kits craft beer :ph34r:

Wow, home made craft beer hey.....I just call it what it is. Pilsner,IPA,wheat beer etc etc. Your better off making a good name for the term "home brew". I love seeing the look on people who think they are about to taste something horrible and actually drink something that blows their mind. The old eyes light up and they are like....Jesus Christ that's good. Then come the questions.

I call it a Belgian Blond, or Standard Bitter or whatever it happens to be I'm serving. I do that whether I'm serving commercial beer or homebrew. I give someone a glass of Vale IPA, I just say "it's an IPA, but I reckon more an APA". They look confused, drink it, like it. Problem solved.

Don't even bother with the home brew debacle anymore.

Same as with commercial, it gets drank, then I get asked "did you make this?", usual conversation ensues.

Someone's feeling inferior...

I am reminded of a character on the Simpson's, "I'm a level 5 vegan, I don't eat anything that casts a shadow".

TheCarbinator said:
Maybe we should change the name of Aussie home brewer to "Aussie home made craft beer..... ummmmm people".
Ooh, can we pop the word "Artisanal" in there somewhere too?

I only make Hand Crafted Home Made Artisanal Craft Malt Beverages

Aaa...aaa...aand Provedore. W4nky way to say "deli". There's always this speak to make us appear better than we really are - like self-marketing really. I probably subscribed to it for a while in the HB stakes, but I think the biggest issue isn't whether we make craft beer at home or whatever, it's a. despite the marketing 95% of the population still thinks beer is fizzy, pale, and tasteless lager and b. Woolworths/Wesfarmers Home Brand "craft beer" is dumbing down the genuine small producer's market share and dumbing down the 'craft' palate (same as our food).

You don't need to say 'artisanal', provedore or craft - you just need to produce something fantastic yourself, not sell to woolies and coles, be independent and hope to hell you survive doing so.

Aside from everything else, it just doesn't roll off the tongue. Home brew is far easier to say/write and has a better sound to it.

Back