Dislexic Bloke Confused For Drunk And Ejected From Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it how a dude is denied a beer and human rights become important around here but talk about refugees and it all becomes "stinking queue jumpers"-this and "ram the boats"-that.

The sad thing is those who confuse the two. Refugees are that and are processed accordingly - Queue jumpers are just that, Queue jumpers. And a man denied a beer is a total injustice!!!
Its sad that people start to assume that if you arrive in a crappy vehicle you must be a refugee. I guess it's time for me to trade in my HT Holden, people will assume Im a refugee!!!
Cheers BDB

I love it how a dude is denied a beer and human rights become important around here but talk about refugees and it all becomes \"stinking queue jumpers\"-this and \"ram the boats\"-that.

The sad thing is those who confuse the two. Refugees are that and are processed accordingly - Queue jumpers are just that, Queue jumpers. And a man denied a beer is a total injustice!!!
It’s sad that people start to assume that if you arrive in a crappy vehicle you must be a refugee. I guess it\'s time for me to trade in my HT Holden, people will assume I’m a refugee!!!
Cheers BDB

Shit. Sorry, guys.

Yes but it suggests he come up and explain that when he enters, not when questioned. If the slurring has anything to do with the dyslexia (first I've heard of it) or any other disability then 'explain condition' is akin to 'justify yourself with your disability'.

and that was my inference... It is highly posible that the man's disability is another condition that affects his speech and maybe facial expression and he also has dyslexia. It's also highly possible that the press only highlighted the dyslexia as the main point to cause maximum kerfuffle. Who knows.

As for pre-explanation, that also goes back to my point of being a lose/lose. The law is enforced to such levels that a chance can hardly be taken without someone losing their job, or someone feeling (further) victimised for being different to the norm.

and yes, it's also possible that the staff here did victimise someone, and in that case they deserve what they get

It's definitely gotten worse in Melbourne since the "Alcohol-Fuelled Violence" media circus crap of the last couple of years took hold. There's so much pressure on pubs not to let anyone step out of line and to babysit their patrons that I can see why many are being tight-arsed. I got kicked out of the espy not long ago because I looked intoxicated...I then had an entirely rational conversation with the bloke explaining I was here to see the band when he told me "I know, we just can't let ya stay, the cops are all over us". Sure I was drunk, but it's THE ESPY!!! god damn it...or was.

It's the government and their knee-jerk nanny state that's to blame...or maybe the 'Today Tonight' brigade that demanded they "save our streets".

thats exactly what i was getting at. doesnt even rate a mention. cant be judged by a bouncer.

and excatly what I was getting at; how could they have judged it so why is it an issue? The dyslexia here is a non event; it's the slower speech that was the issue

Sure I was drunk, but it's THE ESPY!!! god damn it...or was.
It has been a very long time since The Espy has been The Espy.

I'm surprised Fred Negro will even draw in it anymore.

It has been a very long time since The Espy has been The Espy.

I'm surprised Fred Negro will even draw in it anymore.

Again riddles from BUM, the most useless most euphoric poster on AHB. 5000+ posts, only Manticle seems to understand the dribble. BUM is a ******* idiot fullstop, this is a beer forum for **** sake. One day BUM might quote "i did this" instead of "others might know" but a long the way I`ll make a total dick of myself and waste peoples time. AHB would be far better off without the unobserved ignorant cockheads like BUM whom think talking like a royal or a simpson is intelligent.
Go get fucked BUM. Maybe that may help your persona.

Yeah, Goodnight.

Again riddles from BUM, the most useless most euphoric poster on AHB. 5000+ posts, only Manticle seems to understand the dribble. BUM is a ******* idiot fullstop, this is a beer forum for **** sake. One day BUM might quote "i did this" instead of "others might know" but a long the way I`ll make a total dick of myself and waste peoples time. AHB would be far better off without the unobserved ignorant cockheads like BUM whom think talking like a royal or a simpson is intelligent.
Go get fucked BUM. Maybe that may help your persona.

Yeah, Goodnight.

:huh:

Did he dip his cock in your beer in the past? I hope so, that would make me laugh with much gusto grande...

I'm sure that's true...It's had been a VERY long time since I'd been out

Warning - long irrelevant OT story.

Last time I went to the espy I was told by two of the six bouncers they had working that I would not be able to wear my safety capped work boots into the venue.

Nothing to do with dress code - the reason, clearly explained was 'there's been a lot of glassings'.

Taking my boots from me might help the situation if ;

a. You are a ******* moron

AND

b. You stop serving beer and RTDs etc, inside the venue in pots made from glass and glass bottles.

I would have happily said 'get fucked' and gone home but the lady was pretty keen to see a band that doesn't play in Melbourne very often.
Obviously you can't enter a venue with no shoes so following the suggestion from the security guys, we went to the two local supermarkets looking for footwear. The only thing available from one of the two was a pair of open fluffy furry slippers around size 6. This fits in with a thread about dyslexia because I actually read it upside down as '9' and thought that wouldn't be too bad (I'm 10.5).

Half my foot was outside the shoe - they were basically unwearable. I put them on at the door then wandered around in socks for the remainder of the evening while in the band room. Somehow open shoes in a crowded inner city venue on a Saturday night is more appropriate than enclosed boots for patron safety.

I guess I didn't glass anyone that evening so they must be onto something.

May not go there ever again unless Tom Waits does a surprise show in the Green Room for $10 cover charge.

it's a bloody joke huh..the bouncers even have stupid earpieces and no longer wear flannel shirts.
I wonder what would happen if you wore a glass slipper?

P.S- If you do here about a Tom Waits show ANYWHERE in Australia you must share immediately!

Quite seriously if I ever get enough cash and I can convince him, I'll organise one. As he gets older he seems less and less likely to tour here ever. The one and only time he did, I was 1 year old.

Having worked as a bouncer in the Cross 10 years ago I could tell you dozens of stories about this type of thing. Basically, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. We tried to kick a bloke out who we saw rubbing up against women on the dance floor. He said that he was accidentally bumping into them because he suffered from "night blindness". His friend, who claimed to be a lawyer, told us we would be sued if we kicked him out, so the manager relented and let him stay. 20 minutes later we had five complaints from women that he was feeling them up on the dance floor, and one of them threatened to sue us for not kicking him out before it came to this.

I had a bloke take a swing at me once, I ducked and hit him back. He ran off, but came back ten minutes later with the coppers, demanding I be arrested for assaulting him. I told the cops he threw the first punch, to which he replied "yeah, but I missed, you're not allowed to hit me unless I connect with you first". Couldn't believe what I was hearing. There are some people who believe other people should put up with the crap they dish out to them.

When ever I knocked back an aborigine or an islander I was a racist, even if he was wearing tracksuit pants at 1am on a Sunday morning, or had been caught stealing handbags the week before, none of that mattered to the do gooder witnesses. It's a job you get pretty sick of pretty quickly. You could do everything 100% correctly and even then 99% of witnesses would say everything was your fault and you started it.

The reason I bring all this up is it wouldn't surprise me if the bloke was pissed and someone's trying to get back at the pub by kicking up a stink, getting the media involved, and claiming the patron was 100% in the right when he possibly wasn't. I don't know because I wasn't there, but I've got my own experiences that make me a bit cynical whenever I see reports like this.

And if Tom Waits is ever playing anywhere for $10 Manticle, send me a PM too.

wonder if the staffer got the sack,because of his call..i agree with Thommo its the guards call,or the publician's..but we shouldn't race in just because of appearance,cerebal palsy comes in different stages..deaf people can talk not clearly..and Manticle safety boots should be worn by staff if there fair dinkum..

Warning - long irrelevant OT story.

Last time I went to the espy I was told by two of the six bouncers they had working that I would not be able to wear my safety capped work boots into the venue.

Nothing to do with dress code - the reason, clearly explained was 'there's been a lot of glassings'.

Taking my boots from me might help the situation if ;

a. You are a ******* moron

AND

b. You stop serving beer and RTDs etc, inside the venue in pots made from glass and glass bottles.

I would have happily said 'get fucked' and gone home but the lady was pretty keen to see a band that doesn't play in Melbourne very often.
Obviously you can't enter a venue with no shoes so following the suggestion from the security guys, we went to the two local supermarkets looking for footwear. The only thing available from one of the two was a pair of open fluffy furry slippers around size 6. This fits in with a thread about dyslexia because I actually read it upside down as '9' and thought that wouldn't be too bad (I'm 10.5).

Half my foot was outside the shoe - they were basically unwearable. I put them on at the door then wandered around in socks for the remainder of the evening while in the band room. Somehow open shoes in a crowded inner city venue on a Saturday night is more appropriate than enclosed boots for patron safety.

I guess I didn't glass anyone that evening so they must be onto something.

May not go there ever again unless Tom Waits does a surprise show in the Green Room for $10 cover charge.

******* Bullllllshit? Were you there on Saturday night? Contrive were playing. My mate & his mate had the exact same issue, both wearing steel cap work boots. The bouncers advised them that Coles and Safeway sell...THONGS! Because metal bands, glass drinking vessals and virtually exposed feet go so well together.

******* Bullllllshit? Were you there on Saturday night? Contrive were playing. My mate & his mate had the exact same issue, both wearing steel cap work boots. The bouncers advised them that Coles and Safeway sell...THONGS! Because metal bands, glass drinking vessals and virtually exposed feet go so well together.

Was a few weeks ago - beginning of November I think.

They tried to tell me it was all live music venues but I read that as bullshit too.

I left my fluffy slippers at the door so they could give them to the next bloke that walked in with work boots. Obviously they kept them to sell at a profit on ebay.

One of the sillliest requests I've ever had from front of house in any venue.

Latest posts

Back