Disconnects won't fit on ball lock kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maldridge

Reaction score
Hey guys, just trying to get my keg setup finally going, but I'm having trouble getting the disconnects on the posts.

I was trying it out this morning, and I've established which post is the beer out post and which is the gas in post, but neither of them seem to fit on. This is the case with both kegs I have. The disconnects don't seem to want to 'click' into position, all the way on. I can get them most of the way on, but then I can just pull them straight off, and the 'lift up' part on the disconnect never snaps down to lock it.

I thought all the kegs and disconnects should fit together? I also bought these kegs and the disconnects from the same place (a sponsor of this site).

Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers.

Try a little lube on the post, or more precisely the O ring. Just a little vaseline or even a little dish-washing detergent. Then buy a tube of keg lube, one tube will last you a lifetime.

batz

I bought a beer QD from craftbrewer a while back that gave me all sorts of grief. Took it back and Anthony (I think it was) gave me a look when he saw there was no lube on it, smeared some lube on and tried it.

Nope.

I'd already figured out what it was: the balls are blocked from fully retreating by mold imperfections. So the QD will work in one position of the locking ring, but turn it a few degrees and it'll jam a ball again. Damn thing will only engage in a couple of positions of the locking ring.

Quality control issue. Easy to tell - push the ring back and try to disengage all 4 balls - bet you one is stubborn and won't go back.

Andyes, there is far too much rings and balls in this thread.

Thanks for the replies, I shall try some lube!!

Nick, you are correct about the balls being stuck, they do not retreat into their holes like they should. I hope these will come good or I may have to swap them over? This must count as a faulty product no?

maldridge said:
Thanks for the replies, I shall try some lube!!

Nick, you are correct about the balls being stuck, they do not retreat into their holes like they should. I hope these will come good or I may have to swap them over? This must count as a faulty product no?
No ? yes !

The newer ones most stores are selling are shit
the newer ones Dont have CMB on them and the gas qd is white
Even with lubing up its a giant task to get them on

I have found the same in as much as the new ones you buy give trouble at times.
I have got some I bought years ago and they are fine.
I had occassion to go into Andale before Xmas to get some gear for my son and he needed QD's as well.
I bought them at Andale and they are the good quality ones and are not any more costly than the shit chinese crap you get from some HBS's
Btw I have no affiliation with Andale.

Cheers

As a retailer I sell the original Cornellius disco's as I know they are quality items but I also sell the cheaper ones too so I can compete with other retailers and stay in business.
I haven't had complaints on my cheaper stock as yet but if I did I would refund and not sell the items again.
Keeping customers happy is what it is about. :beerbang:
Nev

Just done a re test on our cheaper ($8.00) discos,and even without lube fit very well.
OP send me your crap ones and I will replace them for the cost of postage.
Nev

That does sound like a very generous offer mate. One thing though, mine are disconnects with barb fittings as opposed to MFL, and I didn't see any barb fittings on your site?

I once saw an example of the white disconnects at Absolute Homebrew. Pat had ripped them off a customers keg post with pliers... and then replaced them with the CMB ones.

The white ones are rubbish.

maldridge said:
That does sound like a very generous offer mate. One thing though, mine are disconnects with barb fittings as opposed to MFL, and I didn't see any barb fittings on your site?
Yes they are on there HERE . 2 x either gas or liquid barbed $16
Nev

Back