Disconnects...threaded Or Barbed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of Ball Lock QD is "better"?

• All Barbed QD's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Threaded / MFL QD's

• Gas Barbed / Bev Threaded

• Gas Threaded / Bev Barbed

• Something else I never thought of?!

• Total voters

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Hey there all you experienced keggers!

I'm working out a parts list whilst my kegs make their way here from USA! :D

From what I've seen on the net, there are basically two types of QD's for corny kegs - so which is the better one to buy? From simplicity's perspective it looks like a barbed end with a hose clamp is just as effective as a threaded end with a screw on fitting - and a barbed end means you don't have to spend money on the screw on adapter?
Any advice/guidance would be appreciated...

Cheers,
TL

The barbed ones will do the job just fine, although the screw-on ones make it easier to remove the QD for washing if you're so inclined. They would probably be a better option if you're constantly rearranging your setup too.

Cleaning the barbed ones is pretty easy though, just rinse them in a bucket of hot water, then soak them in a bucket of sanitiser overnight. No need to remove them.

Thanks for that Wortgames,
I went around to a mates place who had a single tap kegorator. He was dispensing his brew by occasionally hooking up the gas to the keg, giving it a charge and then pulling off the Gas QD - apparently he had a leak and used this method to minimise gas loss. Over the course of the evening, he was popping the gas line on and off a fair bit (we drank too much!!).
Anyway, it got me thinking about whether one type of QD is better than the other if you were frequently popping the gas QD on and off whilst dispensing...
Cheers,
TL

I've only got the barbed ones. I kinda think its nice for the gas as you don't mess with em and shouldn't get leaks. I wish I had a coupl of threaded liquids so I could move them about for things like hooking up a CP bottle filler and doing keg to keg transfers.

If I was to start again I would probably make sure I got at least two threaded liquid ones so I could use them in a number of locations.

JasonY said:
I wish I had a coupl of threaded liquids so I could move them about for things like hooking up a CP bottle filler and doing keg to keg transfers.

Hi JasonY,
Pardon my ignorance (kegging wannabe) but aren't the two types of QD just as easy to move between kegs? Perhaps the threaded QD's are handy when you need to screw a fitting directly to the QD? Is that what you're getting at regarding attaching a CP bottle filler, or, for example, a keg charger or faucet? :huh:

Cheers,
TL

TL, I currently have a small dilema which I will solve by buying another liquid disconnect. This may illustrate what I mean.

I just got 2 x 10L kegs :D and I want to make a transfer line so I can fill them from a 20L keg, basically some line with liquid disconnects on each end. As all of my liquid disconnects are in service (4 of) they are barbed and crimped to existing lines connected to taps. I have one new disconnect but need another for the other end of the line.

option 1 is to cut off one of the others and put it on the transfer line then cut it off that to put it back , PITA

option 2 buy another disconnect and have a dedicated transfer line.

If I had two screw type disiconnects I would not have to cut one off which is a real pain. I could just unscrew a disconnect and screw it onto the transfer line and move it back when done. If I had gone down the screw type path I could have got by with about 3 disconnects whereas I will be buying my 6th tomorrow :p

Not that big a deal, but I can see screw types could offer flexibility for future needs and save you buying new disconnects for bits of gear you will only use periodically.

Another option would be to buy a couple of the barbed fittings for flared-threaded disconnects
Then you only need the one set of disconnects, but could have multiple hoses with the barbed fittings on them.
Makes it easier to clean the keg transfer line too.

Beers,
Doc

JasonY / Doc,
Thanks guys - I see the dilemma - thank god the fittings aren't too expensive, but it all adds up, eh?!

Cheers,
TL

On a related note - is 5/16ths the go for a balanced system, tubing wise?

I hope to set-up a 2 tap keg fridge...

TL

TL, go for 4mm ID hose - it is the smallest available. For a balanced system you want as much resistance as you can get, to moderate your flow rate. Get excess length, and shorten it if your flow rate is too slow - but give it a few days for temps and pressure to stabilise. I think I've got about 2m on my system and I run it at around 100kPa / 15PSI.

TL

I would definitely go for both (at least 2 MFL) as Jason said you can interchange them to change the use/purpose.
I have both type and having a couple with MFL fittings makes it very useful and interchangeable. However barbed ones are good for a setup that won't change - less chance of a leak and they're also a little cheaper.

As Wortgames said use the smallest line possible for more resistance for a balanced system.

Hoops

TL, I found this blokes site when I researching for my own set-up. He presents a strong case against barbed fittings ...and goes to great lengths explaining (good pics) the merits of flared disconnects.

Well worth a look. I have ended up using only flared fittings with John Guest push-in adaptors ...it means I can quickly take my system apart and rearrange hoses etc without cutting tubing etc ;)

flare fitting bloke from USA

Barb fittings rule! Bring back the barb! Stop this persecution!

Hey TroughLolly, here are a couple of pics of my 2 kegger... I may be selling it soon, once my 6 kegger is finished...

0003.jpg0004.jpg

jimmysuperlative said:
TL, I found this blokes site when I researching for my own set-up. He presents a strong case against barbed fittings flare fitting bloke from USA
[post="53507"][/post]​
As far as I can see he rants about barbed fittings but barely says why - hardly presenting a strong case against them unless I'm missing it.

swings and round-a-bouts, Sean... if you have a number of disconnects already, going to flare fittings is not really necessary.

... if you are starting off (as many keggers will) with one liquid disconnect and one gas disconnect then it could be helpful to have a set-up that you can disassemble ...until you sort out "best practice".

As far as the "Flare Fitting Bloke" goes ...he is probably just like the rest of us - Proud of his achievements/innovations, and willing to share them for the benefit of others. :D

Just go by experience.

In other words every time you've got some spare change (rare in this hobby).

Just buy yourself some spare disconnects of either type (gas and beer) and an excess of nuts and tails and you can virtually cover all situations.

Just think of them as expensive nuts and bolts. They may sit there for a while but there's a fair chance they'll be used. :D

Warren -

You guys rock! :super:

Thanks for the advice, info and pictures - practical experience - you just can't beat it...! Love your work Wortgames - I've got a 455L Admiral that's just begging to be converted - the hops are in the overhead freezer compartment already! Where did you get that dead sexy drip tray from?

Cheers and thank you all.

TL! :beer:

jimmysuperlative said:
TL, I found this blokes site when I researching for my own set-up. He presents a strong case against barbed fittings ...and goes to great lengths explaining (good pics) the merits of flared disconnects.

Well worth a look. I have ended up using only flared fittings with John Guest push-in adaptors ...it means I can quickly take my system apart and rearrange hoses etc without cutting tubing etc ;)

flare fitting bloke from USA
[post="53507"][/post]​

Hey Jimmy, did you check out the Gadget section on his site

Normell

Back